Help

Forum >> Help >> Acquiring young pitchers.   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
nelson1805me

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Do any of the youth call-up options have higher propensities to produce pitchers? I have an old, overpaid, terribly ineffective pitching crew comparatively to what I would like, so I am trying to get better pitchers. While the free agents are enticing, they are still all old and overpaid. So far I have gotten one or two good pitching prospects, but if I want to find more, which pool do you suggest I try?

Also, it appears there is a "breaking in" period for pitchers where they suck pretty badly for a bit, then even out. Is this truly the case?

Thanks, a ton. I am very excited for the economic update.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
At this point, there is not. In the near future, I'd like to give you a choice of 3-5 players with a little bit a data about each (age or position for example).

In terms of a breaking in period -- that is sort of true. Every player requires training (primary from time in the minor leagues) and experience (primary from playing time in the major leagues) to fulfill his maximum potential. So very few players will dominate at the major league level before getting a little experience.

So how can you avoid this, to some degree. Play promising players in spring training games so they get experience. They will get a little experience at AAA, so you can leave them there a bit longer. For pitchers, you can start them in long or middle relief roles where they get innings, but aren't in tight games. Also, you can set their hook or pitch count pretty low to avoid giving up tons for runs.

Also, beware that not every untested player will play exactly as his skills might suggest. There is a bit of uncertainly built into inexperienced players.

Hope this helps,

Steve
nelson1805me

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I can see that being another fun wrinkle to the recruitment process. Perhaps having 3 or 4 mock spring games of stats, a general scouting report, maybe a few ambiguous skills, and a np/pitcher designation. Just something to think about. Finances are probably more important at this point as well. Also, does your merchandise revenue go up if you have more allstars?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
At this point, an all-star is simply an individual honor that a player gets.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |