Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
ElPolloLoco

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
oh ok thanks
tc_ferdzz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
does anyone know how big the penalty is?...if i have a left handed 2B'er should i just drop him or train him at a different position???or if he becomes really good is the penalty minor enough that it is still worth keeping him?
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
No one knows how much of a penalty there is. I believe it is currently applied to fielding, although in real life fielding is not the issue.

For a LH 2B in real life, it is extremely difficult to be the pivot man on a DP. Having a LH 2B should reduce your chances of turning a 6-4-3, 5-4-3 or 1-4-3 to almost never.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@tc, no, the specific amount of the penalty is unknown, though I will say that the left handed penalty on catchers was dramatically noticeable in the second half of last season after the tweak. My lefty catcher with a career near 50% CS rate caught only 2 runners in the second half versus 37 steals allowed. I got virtually no double plays the season I had a lefty thrower at second three seasons back, despite his 2B position experience.

@afreespirit, real life is irrelevant to the question, and please don't re-open that inconclusive debate.
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well newtman, when did you become the forum police? If I choose to answer a question from someone I will answer it in my own way, not according the rules as set down by you. So piss off.
tc_ferdzz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
so, would you think it would be worth it to continue training him as a 2B if he can become really good? or just start him up at another position?

i don't see how being a lefty would really hurt a catcher, except maybe throwing to third...
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
tc_ferdzz, it's just one of those things that we just don't have enough information yet to really say for sure. Ideally, the advantage of having a lefty hitter in a traditionally righty spot would come somewhat close to making it worth having the fielding penalty. We just don't have a way to do a proper cost/benefit on it until enough anecdotal evidence piles up and we can start to make clearer assumptions about the penalty.
Jayman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well if it helps the data I was wondering that myself and now I know why my team basically had no DPs

Also I think with a lefty catcher the disadvantage is in the fact that when a player is stealing second and the catcher is behind a righty batter he has to get around the batter to throw costing important moments for getting the ball off to 2b
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Jayman, if a lefty catcher is hindered behind a righty batter then a righty catcher would be hindered behind a lefty batter. Why I asked afreespirit not to re-open that topic was because it resulted in a 50+ post discussion on whether lefties should have a penalty or not where a lot of people made a lot of claims, but because no real life examples exist it just resulted in a lot of polemics.
Jayman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I guess my logic was that righties are more prevalent

Previous Page | Show All |