Help

Forum >> Help >> Training for 30+ year-olds?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
atc7278

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Ah...that explains it. Thanks, Steve!

So just to be clear, experience in the majors is game-based, not roster-based? Meaning my 25yo C isn't going to continue improving (much) in the bigs unless he plays? All those in-depth talks on the bench with the older players don't do anything for him? (I suppose he's too busy fetching their sunflower seeds and water to actually talk baseball...)
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I know experience for pitchers is based on batters faced. I don't remember what it is for batters, but its definitely based on how much playing time they are getting. Sitting a guy on the bench won't get him any experience.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
In normal circumstances your 25 yo will come in when the starter gets injured (catchers get a lot of small injuries in this game - trying to emulate the fact catchers need days off), or if you give him some platoon bats against righties (your starter is a right handed hitter), or if you give him some reps against a weaker team.

At this point in the year you should be giving all of your playing time to the young guy. You aren't going to win promotion. Plus your starter is old. He might get a lot worse this offseason, which will give you an opportunity to use your 25 year old as the starter next year.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

I know experience for pitchers is based on batters faced. I don't remember what it is for batters, but its definitely based on how much playing time they are getting. Sitting a guy on the bench won't get him any experience.

Actually wrong. Pitchers experience is based on outs recorded. I made several suggestions about it being changed to batters faced, but that is not the system as is. Batters experience is based on at bats iirc.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
My bad.

So pinch runners and defensive replacements don't get experience even if they end up playing a couple innings (but don't get up)? Bad deal for defensive training...

Does position training work differently at least? Seems to me like Position and Fielding experience should really be based on innings in the field.

Updated Saturday, March 14 2015 @ 7:08:07 pm PDT
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Based on other threads I also understood it was outs recorded for pitchers, but the game manual says pitchers gain experience from batters faced. Did it always say that? Hopefully that can be corrected in the manual.

Found it. Here's the thread where Steve said experience is gained by outs recorded for pitchers.

Updated Saturday, March 14 2015 @ 10:01:35 pm PDT
MrTwoPlums

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Just want to add to this: hitters gain experience through at-bats (or plate appearances, not sure which one) plus innings played in the field on defense. So someone playing at DH won't gain as fast as the position players.

I'm not sure how it would work in a pinch runner's case if he's subbed out defensively. Theoretically he would get no experience (no AB/PA, no innings on D). There might be a slight gain from games played as well, so they at least get something for being in a game, but that's just a guess.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
So pinch runners and defensive replacements don't get experience even if they end up playing a couple innings (but don't get up)? Bad deal for defensive training...

Thought the manual said entering the game / games played contributed to experience. But its not there. I was quite certain getting a G on your player card helps. Even so, if all a player ever does is pinch run, he's not going to get much XP.

Does position training work differently at least? Seems to me like Position and Fielding experience should really be based on innings in the field.

Stated clearly in the manual. Position training is different. Innings played (at a position) is what gives positional experience.

hitters gain experience through at-bats (or plate appearances, not sure which one) plus innings played in the field on defense. So someone playing at DH won't gain as fast as the position players.

This is false. Steve has been asked this directly in this forum before (I unfortunately can't provide the link). The answer was innings in the field provide positional experience. ABs provide the experience that increases player skills (hit, power, fielding). A DH is not disadvantaged improving his player skills.
MrTwoPlums

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This is false. Steve has been asked this directly in this forum before (I unfortunately can't provide the link).

Took some time but I found it. You're correct Seca, I interpreted this wrong.

There are multiple types of experience. You receive experience for being in games, but also for just being in the big leagues (although this is limited). In terms of game experience:

Batters receive experience for each plate appearance.

Pitchers receive experience for each out the get.

Fielders (for positional experience) receive experience for each out they play at that position.

Steve

Edit: Just realised Muki already linked this thread just a couple posts back... Derp.

Updated Sunday, March 15 2015 @ 11:05:37 am PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for looking that up. :) Seems to verify that just entering the game also provides experience.

Edit: It also indicates a bit of confusion about position training. The manual says:

with each inning played in the field for positional defense purposes

That quote says:

Fielders (for positional experience) receive experience for each out they play at that position.

If I remember that thread correctly, the quote is correct.

Updated Sunday, March 15 2015 @ 11:15:46 am PDT

Previous Page | Show All |