Help

Forum >> Help >> Familiarity of Role on Team   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't believe role assignment is considered. As far as I can tell, they are what they are. That doesn't mean they won't be more productive in certain roles, but success, and the lack thereof, is driven by their skills.
el_jefe_loco

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for your thoughts.

@ PrivateSnowflake - I am not actually asking about which player should be placed in which role... I am wondering if there is an effect on changing a player's role. Example: a guy who was previously a starter that gets moved into the closer role, where he is better suited. Does it take the player time to adjust to his new role (as with a defensive position), or does he perform up to his ability immediately? Same with a guy getting moved down to the bottom of the batting order, does it affect how he performs?
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, based on the other thread about clutch hitting, I would change my stance on hitters, I guess. Finding the guys with it and getting them to your three thru five spots could definitely make a difference.

Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah this thread was what got me curious about clutch hitting in the game. I'm glad someone was able to give a hard confirm on it. Might explain some of my underperformers.
jetsrock48

Davenport Cobras
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I have asked myself this exact question. I can't answer it for you, but take this example with a grain of salt.

http://brokenbat.org/player/61159

That is my team's best player. He never achieved his full potential due to his training before I took over, but that is a different topic. I've had him hit 5th in my lineup for most of his career. But last season (2020) I moved him into the 3rd spot. His power numbers took a dip and I thought it was due to a decrease in production due to age. But this year, I put him back in the 5 hole and he re-gained his power stroke to the point of possibly setting a career high in HR.

I can't say for certain why his production dipped while he was hitting 3rd. It's most likely just a result of an "off" year, but I have definitely wondered whether changing his spot in the lineup affected his performance.
Jayman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I frequently change my batting order among my starters to adjust for their streak or a pitcher they may be facing. I can't speak for the algorithms on here but in the real world changing the batter order doesn't affect the players ability to hit the ball. If they are leading off or if they are 9th in the order when they are at the plate they are at the plate. Game circumstances may be different but the actual batter vs pitcher matchup is the same no matter their spot in the line up.

With that philosophy by changing your batting order you are managing what batter you have in what game situation not the batter's ability to hit the ball.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Just an FYI, Steve has stated that streaks don't affect performance. In other words, its probably not worth adjusting due to streaks. Adjusting due to pitcher does make sense. Also makes sense to use traditional roles (e.g. leadoff is fast with great OBP, #4 has lots of power, etc.)
el_jefe_loco

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks Jetsrock and Jayman, this is exactly what I am wondering as well... New to the game, so wasn't sure if there was a consistent opinion or not.

I suppose finding the right amount of lineup tinkering is part of the fun of the game :-) I am more of the belief that changing the batting order or pitchers' roles should be part of game strategy, but at the same time I am hesitant to move a player from his ideal spot just simply because he is in a slump.

Thanks for the good discussion
el_jefe_loco

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks Rock, we posted at the same time and I didn't see your note. Good to know about the streaks.
Jayman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
That is good info on streaks. Thanks.

Previous Page | Show All |