Help

Forum >> Help >> Handful of questions.   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Trying to get a better grasp of how the mechanics of the game work.

1) How much value ticks over as a skill increases? I'll reference two simulation games, both have similar ratings in terms of 1-20. Both reflect based on the finite number, but one game we can calculate roughly how much per age a player increases per training (example: at 19, the player will progress .37 skill for every week of training in stat X) while the other only has an increase in skill when the point fully ticks over from 13 to 14. So i guess the question is, does a player improve in a rating only when the skill increases, or do they increase beyond what we actually see in the number scheme.

2) Do we have an understanding as to how the range rating works in the game? Does it calculate a RF (Range Factor) for each player that isn't statistically shown to us, or what is our rating that shows us the relevance for the range of a player?

3) Are comments a soft skill cap or a hard skill cap? If control is below average on a pitcher, is he unlikely to get past 8-9 without focused training on control? If a player has a mediocre comment, such as above average slugging, does that mean he might end up at 13-15 and not be able to make it higher, or can i train the team for three seasons in just power and get something more from that player, like a 16 or even in the most optimistic of circumstances a 17?

4) Is injury prone a thing? will one player happen to get hurt more often because of just RNG, or is it some sort of hidden rating?

Understand fully if some information cannot be put out there, but if something has been revealed regarding these aspects it would be much appreciated.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't have solid answers, but this is my understanding on these topics.

1) Not sure on what point the change over happens, but I think there is a fair amount of randomness in the increase, so you probably can't rely on anything in general.

2) Steve has stated that range is used in a team calculation. For instance (my best guess), the player hits the ball, now range is calculated to see if he hits it in a gap. Each players range (weighted by the position they are playing) is added together and compared to some random number based on the batters Bat Control (probably).

3) From my limited experience, I think these are hard caps (unless scouting errors can happen)

4) In the rules, Steve does say there are hidden values for the players. I suspect injury prone might be one of those hidden values.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
1) AFAIK, in BrokenBat we don't know if the game engine uses integer numbers only or sub levels too.
however, it's worth mentioning, the figure you see is just the apparent value. The True value of the skill is different and can be as much as 20% off. it's in the rulebook
Unlike other games, training speed is not a constant, but rather it's typical to each player. You can search the forum for many posts dealing with the matter

2) Rock777 answered to that

3) it's an hard cap. I've never seen an exception.
Well, actually, ONE. That's it.
For the exact values, you can find in several old posts.
As for additional training, I've never noticed any extra gain.

4) injury prone is a characteristic of the player. Steve inferred it several times

[

Updated Sunday, March 8 2015 @ 8:03:10 am PDT
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you to the both of you.

I figured most players developed at the same rate, but was trying to decide whether or not, should i find players with the same build, could they perform relatively similar on career paths. (note: i realize that hot and cold paths and generally speaking '*beep* happens' would never allow it to physically be the same, but for the sake of argument...). Or if a 17 could infer a 17 to a 17.99, meaning a more reliable difference in skills.

Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't know about the partial numbers, but there are also hidden values on players that seem to affect gameplay some. Some guys seem to just consistently underperform, while others seem to consistently over perform. You'll have to watch their output as well as their skill. Just don't cut a guy with great skills just because he underperformed one year, lots of times they bounce back.

Previous Page | Show All |