Help

Forum >> Help >> Abundance, who should go?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Just let me say now, Crespo and Rosas are the two that are not on the block.

The draft this season provided me Crespo and Fingers creating this log jam.
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Before cutting them consider this, left-handed batsmen do better against right-handed pitchers and most pitchers are right-handed.

If you don't want to incur a defensive penalty then you must play right-handed players at C, 2B, 3B and SS. This leaves the three outfield positions, 1B and DH where left-handed batsmen can play and you may wish to have another couple in reserve too.

Obviously you have switch-hitters which gives you greater flexibility.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Rosa and Crespo definitely look like good players. I think the other three are borderline.

Like Seca, I would be turned off by the lack of a good hitting scout reports on Galarraga. "above average slugger" is the lowest good report you can get. Probably means 14 Power. And with no Hitting report, he will probably max out at 11 or 12 Hitting. Combined with low Bat Control, I think Galarrage would be the first on my chopping block.

Fingers has the same problem. No good hitting report means he is probably already maxed out on hitting. He is slightly more well rounded than Galarrage, and he has a better power scouting report.

Mathews has some decent scouting reports. With a neutral fielding report, he should be sufficient in the field, but will get more points put into his batting skills. The 4 Bat Control is the biggest concern with him. As long as that keeps going up he should be a good player.

I would probably cut Galarrage at least. You do want to have 4-5 Lefties so you can platoon your OF/1B, but you also have Pitts coming up who is probably better than both Galarrage and Fingers.

I would also consider dropping Pope as he is a borderline guy and his proximity in age to these other guys means he probably won't get the playing time he needs to develop.

Worth noting, Vitale should become a useful player while you are waiting on some of these other guys. I wouldn't be in a big hurry to cut him. With low Arm strength, it would be better if he had caps at 1B, but his hitting skills could develop reasonably well.

Last note, I find some of my lefties hit better against lefties and some of my righties hit better against righties. So the lefty/righty advantage doesn't always seem to apply. Now that we can see minors play, maybe we can get a better idea about how guys are going to perform on the splits while they are still in the minors. Then you'll want to take that into consideration as well.

Updated Wednesday, March 4 2015 @ 3:13:57 pm PST
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
If Crespo and Rosas are the keepers, pencil them into your defence and the see where the other pieces fit.

Part of the problem I see is that there isn't a stellar CF prospect in the group. Matthews maybe.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
@Seca....I have Schmidt selected as my future CF, probably as early as next season, and he's 25 right now

Updated Wednesday, March 4 2015 @ 6:13:45 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
If you're planning on using guys like Schmidt on both sides of the plate you have even less need for your LH OFs. Maybe think about cutting Gallarages, Fingers and Pope.

Updated Wednesday, March 4 2015 @ 6:27:17 pm PST
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't like to platoon much...I prefer guys who field their position and do adequately both ways due to lack of control...if I could control every at bat like Casey Stengel I might approach it differently
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
There are a lot more RH throw, LH bat guys coming through now. I don't think its quite as important to maximize LH bat opportunities.

Schmitt looks great. :)

I seem to think better platoon control was On the to-do list that was posted in announcements. Even if not, its best to anticipate changes and be ready for them should they occur. I don't platoon much either, but I have platoon pairs working their way thru the minors. ;)
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
With regard to the value of left-handed hitting i I simply point out that in division IV.6 of the top ten hitters in the league only one is right-handed, three are left-handed and six are switch-hitters.

This is a numbers game so you should consider what might balance them in your favour. Five left-hander on a 17 man roster doesn't seem unbalanced to me if you have the defensive players you need.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Apologies. I may have worded a post poorly. Wasn't my intention to disparage the value of LH hitting.
(I added 3 players to my major league roster this season - 2 LH and 1 switch. I added 4 players to my minors this season - 3 LH and 1 RH.)

Was trying to stress the importance of defense in center field. Its one of those spots where its worth giving up some BA to get some leather.
(Both guys I'm using in CF are RH. I'd love if one of my LH OF could do it - they just can't hack it).

The axiom of 4-LH-bats-in-OF&1B-rest-RH is going to be more flexible with more RH throw LH bat players moving through the minors. If you are compelled to use a RH in CF, you can look for a LH opportunity elsewhere.

With regard to the value of left-handed hitting i I simply point out that in division IV.6 of the top ten hitters in the league only one is right-handed, three are left-handed and six are switch-hitters.

Is this surprising? :) LH batters are viciously platooned in BrokenBat. Those 3 LH guys only see RH pitching, whereas decent RH bats see both.

Are we, collectively, are guilty of over-managing? Are the splits overdone? Working as intended? Think it is an interesting question, and one that may be explored when:

2. Adding team & better management control for game engine. Handle player substitution of all kinds better.

is implemented. Platooning right now is sketchy b/c your Field Manager may turn your defense into a gong show. With improved control, managers will be better able to emphasize splits and match-ups.

Either way, I think savvy managers are checking their minors to make sure they are sufficiently stocked on LH pitching. ;)

Previous Page | Show All |