Help

Forum >> Help >> Question Regarding Player Development   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Catattack

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hello Guys,

I'm a fairly new and inexperienced player, so I had a question that I was wondering if anybody could help me with. I'm trying to develop my minor league system, but it's filled up with several guys that are 24 years of age with about a 60 overall rating. I read in the game manual that minor league players can stay in your minor league system until they're 25. So, I was wondering if it would be good to let these guys stay another year or cut them now to make room for potential signees(I have only two free roster spots). I would appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thank you.
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Welcome!

First I would reorganize your minor leagues. Go to Roster, scroll down, and hit Reassign Players. A roster list will appear with suggestions as to which level of play everyone should be at.

I would think Satiago and Arocha are major league players and Pagan could be your best prospect, although not yet ML ready. You also have a ton of guys you can cut, because they won't develop.

Generally, and I'm casting a wide net here, a player should be in the big leagues by age 25. 23-24 in AAA, 22-23 AA, and so forth. You generally want players with at least 12 potential, but prefer 13 and up (I don't keep many 12's unless I like where a certain skill is). Then, look at the SI, or Skill Index. You don't want to keep a prospect with a low SI, but also look deeper than SI (Total of his skill points). Where are his skills?

Some players can deceive by having a good SI, but their skills don't match up to what you want, ie., 1B with speed 14, arm 16, but hitting 6 and power 4.That's 40 points right there but they are in the wrong skill sets for a 1B. SO he might have a SI of near 80, but his skill points are in the "wrong" places. On the other hand, maybe his SI is ok, then you dig deeper and he has high hitting skills and low defense. Well don't cut him, there is your DH!

Even then all is not lost. Maybe that 1B is 22 years old and you like his potential? Could he be a good 3B? OF? Have him learn another position in the minors!

Search the forums and see what others have done. Then you'll come up with your strategy based in part of how you want your team to look. There's just too much info to post here and everyone has their own views.

Updated Tuesday, February 17 2015 @ 8:56:30 am PST

Updated Tuesday, February 17 2015 @ 8:59:17 am PST
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
24 yo and 60 skill index (si) is kind of behind the curve. I would definitely considering exchanging them for better prospects.

Steve
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Private snowflake hit the nail on the head as the best general start. That is all great advice. I'll reinerate, follow recommend level. That is important to do to get optimal training. And to help find prospects with 12+ potential look at their scouting reports. He has good overall potential. And very good overall potential means 12 or more. Though some goods can have less. It might take awhile to build your system. In my 4 is seasons I finally like my system, for the most part.

Have fun! And good luck on them waiver claims.
mduban4

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I read in the game manual that minor league players can stay in your minor league system until they're 25

Not exactly true.

The "too old for minors" cuts are only enforced in bot teams. Although, all players are automatically recommended for the majors at age 25.

There is some debate as to the effectiveness of sending a player 25 years + that didn't get enough time training there earlier back to the minors.
Catattack

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Okay, I'll take the advice you guys gave me. Thank you for your help guys.

Previous Page | Show All |