Help

Forum >> Help >> The Most Underrated Defensive Position   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Balbinjj

Appleton Foxes
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I really want to know what is the most underrated defensive position?

The defensive position that is more valuable than what the manual says.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I think a lot of people underestimate a good catcher. They throw just some guy with a good arm at the position and don’t realize he’s not throwing out base stealers at a good percentage, not stopping anyone from running and that their pitching might be suffering.

If you’re going to do something like that. Grab a minor leaguer with a big arm and play him at catcher so he’s got some catching experience before you turn your big league pitching staff over to a catching newbie.

Steve
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm guessing that means if you play someone out of position, they suffer for it greatly?

You can't just take some IF with a high ARM rating but no C training and assign him as catcher. He'll blow it, despite his ratings?

This would be for all positions I imagine... they at least need to have the position in small letters to have a chance at handling it well and big would probably do even better?

Am I understanding that correctly?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Defense is hard to measure. There are errors...and passed balls for catchers. But in general, the effects are largely unseen.

If you have a lousy defense, maybe you give up more hits (because of lousy fielder range), or don't turn as many double plays (because of infielder skill), or hold as many runner because of poor outfielder & catcher arms etc.

Steve
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well I understand how defense works... I was more asking about playing out of position.

How are penalties applied for playing a position you're not trained in or not as experienced in?
Balbinjj

Appleton Foxes
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
so, what you are saying steve is that we need to take the Catcher position more seriously? right?

We should put a player there with atleast a small letter c?
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Steve has said that for awhile. We had a lengthy discussion about it in a left hand catcher thread a season or 2 ago. He basically said you definitely need a catching training, right hander, with a strong arm. And I belive he said high defense also helps pitching as well.
Balbinjj

Appleton Foxes
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
bump

Previous Page | Show All |