Help

Forum >> Help >> Passed balls/errors   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Jalapeno5

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hi everyone,

Not sure how this works in Broken Bat/baseball... But can catchers commit errors or is an error by a catcher a passed ball?

I think I understand the difference, being that a passed ball is a dropped or missed pitch by the catcher, whereas a fielding error's a dropped catch (am I right in thinking it has to hit a fielder or come off the glove to be an error? Please correct me if I'm wrong in any of this)... So if that's true I guess the only way a catcher can make an error is if they miss a popped-up ball which is probably pretty rare at pro-level, so does the game engine actually allow for it? Can an error also be charged to a catcher for a failed throw to home? If so how is the accuracy/timing of the throw taken into account and responsibility deemed to lie with the catch rather than the throw.

Just an area if the rules I'm not too clear on, so any help would be appreciated! :o)

Cheers!

cqk328

Unalaska Alaskans
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
Well another possible error could be a bunt fielded by the catcher where he overthrows first or something like that. Idk if the engine accounts for it though.
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
Most errors made by catchers are on throws either trying to throw out someone trying to steal or fielding a bunt. Passed balls are not counted as errors. A catcher could also be charged with an error for missing a pop up.
Jalapeno5

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks very much for the responses!

I was trying to decide whether or not at 33 my catcher's past it. He's not made an error in the last two seasons, and he's won golden gloves both years (despite the scouts reporting he'd "always be an atrocious fielder"), but his speed's dropped to 4 now and he's not hit a ball in eight games this season, so I think it's time to part ways on Thursday; small sample & early days I know, but I can't take the chance he's just off to a slow start given he's asking for $2.1 million this year.

Just wondered if it was normal for players who purely played at catcher in Broken Bat or real world baseball not to make errors in that position.

Cheers!
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
While catchers make errors in real life as explained above, I don't believe catchers ever make errors here. I also don't think anyone makes throwing errors in Broken Bat.
Jalapeno5

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Cheers MukilteoMike - that's the final nail in his coffin. Don't think I've ever seen a throwing error in the commentary either, and I reckon I've found a perfectly serviceable replacement on minimum wage.

Thanks!
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
4 fielding is a pretty low number for a catcher. It does make him more susceptible to passed balls.

That said, errors and passed balls (for non-triangle players) are low probability events, which makes them "twingey". Good or bad luck can easily double the amount season to season.

SS-2B-CF get quite a few more chances, so their error numbers are a little more consistent season to season.
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
I thought I saw somewhere that the catchers field stat also helped pitchers. I know it is that way in another game that I play. (It is meant to simulate framing pitches, calling a game, giving a good target, etc.)

In an ideal world my catcher here would have 15 field and 15 arm minimum. (Not being in an ideal world, my current catcher is 12-16)

Previous Page | Show All |