Help

Forum >> Help >> Spot Starter   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The whole thing works vice versa, as well. If there is no long reliever and the middle innings guys are fatigued, the spot starter will occasionally come in to pitch low leverage innings in relief.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
What about unassigned guys? Would they start after your closer?

I kind of want my coach to use unassigned guys in a utility role based on assigned role fatigue, but it seems like the unassigned guys almost never pitch at all.
slugfest2015

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Aside from spring training, which includes your minors, you should have a spot for all 13 of your pitchers, 5 SP, 1 SS, 2 LR, 2 MR, 2 SET, 1 CLR

I might be missing someone there but I know I fill every spot with every pitcher

Personally I have a RHS and a LHS, but you can do just SET and SET2, in Spring, it works to do RHS 1&2 and LHS 1&2

Updated Wednesday, January 14 2015 @ 8:52:02 pm PST
slugfest2015

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
What I wanna know is what happens with a 4 man rotation, If SP5 is Spot Starter, is Spot Starter another Spot Starter or what?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Of course I can assign a role for each pitcher. But that doesn't mean I want to. If I have brought up three rookies who aren't good, I would prefer to just make them LR so they can gain experience without seriously damaging my record. Since there are only 2 spots for LR, I probably want to set one to unassigned. We have space for 13 pitchers. I normal bullpen would not have that many pitchers. So it makes sense to have some unassigned. I want my best pitchers at MR, SET, and CL. I don't want to assign a guy as LSET just to give him a position. He might actually come in and try to setup (losing a game for me). It makes sense to have some unassigned pitchers. Not every pitcher has an assigned role. Some are just bullpen guys. I'm just trying to figure out how they get used.

In my limited experience the SS never plays when you have a 5 man rotation.

Also, if you are setting a pitcher to SET just to give him a role, you are probably making a very bad tactical error. Unless you are putting in a R and L, or have two nearly identical pitchers (who are not as good as the closer, but both give you identical stats and have identical abilities), you are probably doing yourself a disservice. In my opinion you would be better off having one SET and one (handed)SET.

Regardless, your response didn't address my question at all. And it is impolite to simply dismiss someone else's question without even trying to comprehend what is being asked.

FYI, you have enough room on your roster, so why would you have a 4 man rotation. You should have 5 starters.

Updated Thursday, January 15 2015 @ 7:25:21 am PST
slugfest2015

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I do have a 5 man rotation, I was just wondering hypothetically. I do put my better pitchers in critical spots (i think) but I don't see the point in paying 13 pitchers when I have only 9 playing. I think every pitcher I have has a place on my team for the level of play I am currently in, or I can at least put them there until I get a good replacement.

Updated Thursday, January 15 2015 @ 10:12:28 pm PST
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I assign a role to every pitcher. Usually my bullpen is LR, MR, MR2, LHS, SET, SET2, CLR and the last spot depends how good the guy is. Hopefully good enough to be RHS. If not, then LR2.

I think not assigning them means they will only come in when everyone else has high fatigue.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That's a lot of SETs. I bet your losing games because of failed Holds.

I suspect your are right though, which is unfortunate. I would really rather have a relief with no assigned role come in for LR than my closer. Kind of means my assigned roles are being ignored...

So if my closer's first inning is set to 9, and I have an unassigned guy who's first inning is set to 2, and my starter gets pulled in the 4th inning, my closer will go in to pitch?

Updated Monday, January 19 2015 @ 7:36:11 am PST
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I had less blown saves than your team last year. (Although i only won 67 games since I just took over the team and was pretty much guaranteed demotion.)

I had a similar amount of holds, although that number looks really low for both of us.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
No Rock, it doesn't mean assigned roles are being ignored, it allows for a way to make sure certain pitchers are not used unless absolutely necessary. The unassigned role mechanic is useful if used properly.

Previous Page | Show All |