Help

Forum >> Help >> Who should I cut?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
pleflar

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So I've realized that I am, at heart, a softy. I want to give everyone a chance and see how they turn out, given the time and attention that I imagine my coaching staff is capable of.

On the other hand, my roster is full and it's been really tough for me to decide if there's anyone worth cutting in order to make a spot for a draft pull. Since the All-Star break I think I've only made one or two cut/draft pulls and I don't feel that I gained a huge amount from them.

Anyway, I know that I can't possibly have a roster full of future superstars. I will definitely be cutting a few of my more expensive majors in the off-season, whether or not I win the division I will need to cut salary and start turning a profit sooner rather than later.

So, who should I cut from the minors?
Who should be cut from the majors?
What can I do to trim my roster and still be competitive?

Thanks, in advance, to any and all input and advice.
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, at a quick glance it's easy to see you have some fat in your staff in the form of old, though still okay, pitchers eating salary there. But it would be hard to replace them all. You might just want to wait and see what ones just lose to many skills to be useful anymore, or salaries climb way to high to be worth a spot on your roster.

You could probably cut your position players down by 2 and be perfectly fine.

In your minors the first thing that jumped out is aragon. I can see he was called up and played early, so he isn't technicaly ready, but with so little si left to fill you can already see what he is. Bad. Despite the 15 hit tool, his bc and pc are so bad he will always be a low ba, low obp, low power guy. With stone hands to boot. That 97 is pretty, but he isn't going to help win ball games. You can find more useful 31+ year Olds.

You have players ready to move up in levels.

I don't have the time right now to comb through all of your minors, but the one thing I do see, all your prospects are in low ball. You should think about drafting college players to diversify your minors (more people in aaa, aa). I'd think about cutting a ball and rookie ball players you don't see making it. Like Luis roche. Though I'd be interested to see if he is a big time gainer in the majors, before he is ready via scout recommed level. Might be worth trying him out as a starter next year and seeing what happens to his skill gains in the first couple updates if you elect to keep him. He isn't ever going to reach that potential by conventional means.

EDIT: Be fore someone says it, I realize he won't max out doing that as well, but he might become usable and not just a waste of a roster spot.

Updated Friday, December 19 2014 @ 9:13:52 pm PST
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The good news is you don't have any terribly over-priced players. The bad news is your pitchers are old. Flipping back to the good, Bernal should be ready sometime next season and then for 2022 Marquez will begin his reign as Conway's Cannonball ace extraordinaire. Jealous!

Of your 12 major league pitchers, only one can be a true starter next year, Love, as he's the only one skilled guy without stamina issues. I'm assuming Ray at 35 and Carey at 34 are done. They would be my first arms to go. Took a good luck at the other 34+ year old guys when their decline hits; you very well might need to replace them all.

On the offensive side of things, I understand you might like Wiggins, but you'll have to take a look at him after the decline. He still mashed righties, so he has a chance of staying on the team. While not being expensive, Lujan and Malone should be dismissed without any angst.

That's a minimum of four guys for you right there. I didn't look at any of your minor leaguers other than the two mentioned pitchers. I'll leave that for someone else.

Your schedule for the rest of this season is extremely good, so you should hold on to that league lead. Good luck!

Previous Page | Show All |