Help

Forum >> Help >> What would you do with this guy?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Jynxed

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So he won rookie of the year last season despite a major second half slump. He was hitting close to 400 at the all star break from what I remember. This season he started off hot and has had another bad stretch.

My brain wants there to be a way to develop or nurture him but I know there really isn't but what do you folks try to do for players like this?
http://brokenbat.org/player/83978
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Hmm. My time in IV was pretty short and painful, so I can't really speak to how he stacks up at that level, but he looks like a good player who's almost maxed out his potential at a young age. If his speed and range were flipped, I'd say he'd be a very valuable guy for a team like mine. As he is, he gets on base. Can't easily dismiss that.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
To me, it looks like you've already seen what's the deal.
Low BA, OBP 100 points higher than BA, empty power.
With such an high Fielding, I'd rather have him play the infield.
Either 3b, 1b, or even C
As an Of, 19F it's a waste
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Yup, that range is his downfall. He'd have to do a ton of hitting to make up for it. Hard to have him just DH with that 19 fielding though. With that PD he'd be an asset on a team like mine that lacks for offensive output. Having a guy that gets walks would be handy. I could see him being a borderline player on teams with more offensive skill though.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think there is a whole lot to be done there. He's pretty much fully developed, and his hitting results are within a usual range of variation from what I would expect, given his skillset. In the long run, I'd probably expect something close to last year's batting average with this year's ISO, which would be okay for a good defender but a bit meagre for a corner outfielder with limited range. To leverage his good fielding, you could convert him to 3B, if you have an opening there, but he'll be 28 by the time he's any good over there.
One thing you could do is give him a left-handed platoon partner. His career stats are large enough to show that his rather large platoon split is probably not a fluke. If he had only been hitting lefties, his career batting average would be .047 higher, so his OPS would be way up in the .800s.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
This guy has the potential to be a pretty good offensive weapon with power and high OBP.

He's 26, so I'm not sure it's worth the position change or not. I think his best position would be 3B. Otherwise, he's you're DH or below average defensive RF.

Steve
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
He is definitely a guy that should have been converted to 3b in the minors. With an obp like that I like him in the nine spot.
Jynxed

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah until a season or two ago I didn't do a good job with minors at all. Thanks for all the advice! To convert now I just have to throw him out there ?
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Exactly. He'd have to play there every day for about a season (making quite a few errors and probably reducing your double plays) until he gets a small 3b and about another season until he's a real third baseman.
Of course, playing every day means you can't only play him against LHP. Besides, his current platoon partner Peck (despite having some 3b experience from somewhere) is a left-handed thrower with huge range and a weak arm who really shouldn't be at the hot corner. With the current BB player pool, it's really hard to build reasonable infield platoons, but that should change over the seasons, with more L/R and R/L players in the latest prospect generations.
The trade-off is really between making him your everyday 3B or platooning him in right field. Unfortunately, you have to decide for one of the two, and changing your decision later will only cost him development time.
In your case, there are arguments for both strategies, at least from a brief look at your roster:
-RF Platoon: You have plenty of left-handers on your roster, so you'd definitely have a platoon partner available. Peck has more of an LF profile, so maybe it could be Tim West. Also, not that many good right-handed outfielders around.
-3B: You'll soon need a 3B (and that tilts the scales for me in this case). Arredondo will soon be getting old, and Peck shouldn't be a 3B. In the meantime, you could let Arredondo play 2B, where Hines is disaster (with 6 hitting and 7 range he's pretty much a disaster anywhere, so he's a cheap bench player at the very best). By the time Arredondo retires, Bush from AAA might be a decent L/R 2B, whereas both of your 3B on that level are misplaced (one has no arm, the other is a poor fielder).
Jynxed

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This is why I am quitting Goal United lol...so I can spend more time on this game!

Also Hines error total is pretty low so probably why he ended up there I guess cause Arredondo's error totals over the years at 2nd are high but I'll try moving things around some.

Updated Tuesday, December 16 2014 @ 6:14:29 am PST

Previous Page | Show All |