Help

Forum >> Help >> Form   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
For is purely a recent games thing. Because this game is done wit random number generation, and nothing to do with past preformances, current form has nothing to do with future outcomes. It is just something we as a community asked for and Steve was nice enough to grant us.

Personally I have used it most to see how players preformed in a certain lineup spot. For example I can look at my three hole hitter and see he has 13 rbi with my leadoff hitter with a 480 obp. I'd like think he'd have more so I moved the player I had batting 5th up to second, he also is at close to a 480 obp. That should increase runs scored from the top of my lineup. Now obviously the way numbers are generated that might not mean anything, but it should. The guy I moved to the 2 is my best player and has so far had a bad year. He is hot right now, so over the course of a season he should get a hot streak to balance his cold one out to hopefully have him around 300ba and 400obp by the end.

I hope what I wrote makes sense. I'm very tired and should already be in bed...
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
dwind, what you wrote made sense. Also that is the state I am in when I write over half my posts, so I understand it well.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The news announcement when the latest stats were introduced ended with:

Also, we will not be commenting on whether there is any correlation between recent performance and future performance.

So, in principle, players might have an underlying form parameter that influences their short-term success probabilities. However, my impression also is that it's just statistics.
Jalapeno5

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Agree with everything that's been said.

Nice of Steve to implement, and fair play if you think you're getting some benefit from it but I think it's a bit of a red herring - a bit like showing the last 30 results next to a roulette wheel.

The manual states there's no hidden stats and I think there's too many variables at work within the game engine between random numbers, opponent's strength, weather and any other modifiers at work (home-field advantage?) to read too much into form.

Appreciate noone's going to confirm or deny that form has an effect so I guess all we can do is speculate; but as said previously I don't even know what it's being measured against, so it's a pretty meaningless value in my book at the moment.

Updated Monday, December 1 2014 @ 5:22:06 am PST
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't know if anyone would agree with me, but I feel like there is a certain value in having a bit of "noise" in the game. Keeps everything from being a flat math problem and it parallels some of the superstition and luck that goes hand-in-hand with baseball. Gray areas are good things.
Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Agree with Hasel.

IT: streak hitters exist, so i wouldn't be surprised if were the same in BB. I usually check forms before setting lineups.
Jalapeno5

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Absolutely, though I think the purpose of the original post was more along the lines of how to interpret and use available information, rather than try to crack any of the algorithms... Which as you say are unknown for good reason! :o)
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
There isn't a visible form attribute like Hattrick. The hitting and pitching form just relates to recent activity. Obviously this is affected by lots of different things...recent opponents & ballparks played in, weather, number of LH & RH pitchers/batters faced and, of course, random. Also, younger players maybe improving over time, so their form may be more reflective of current skills that their entire season statistics.

Steve
bertie

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, that's right. Form is not mentioned in the manual, so I just wanted to confirm if it has an impact on the game engine.

I agree that games like this work best with a little mystery around the edges. It's a balance between giving players enough information so that decisions feel meaningful whilst hiding enough so that it maintains the illusion of running a baseball franchise rather than just playing with a mathematical algorithm.

I've only been here a few days, but BB seems to have that balance about right from what I've seen so far.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Good to know, and I agree its nice to have Form even if it doesn't have impact on future performance.

I would point out that the manual says there ARE hidden values, so streak hitter or consistency traits could certainly could have been possibilities.

Updated Tuesday, December 2 2014 @ 3:33:09 pm PST

Previous Page | Show All |