Help

Forum >> Help >> How to handle 24yo players in lower minors   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Favuz

Oxnard Sunsets
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Since this season has been terrible for my team, i'm already planning for next season :D .

I have a couple of guys who are 24 years old, one pitcher in AA and an hitter in A.

I know that next year the game will suggest me to put them in major roster, but is this the right thing to do?

Will they continue to gain Skill Points even at 24 in te minors?

I'm especially concerned for the guy in single A. Since he's a good prospect, i don't want to waste potential training putting him too early in the major roster.

Thanks in advance for all the answers :)
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
I wrestled with that same issue at the beginning of this season. I decided to bring Chapman up even though he was 25 in AA. He seems to be improving, but I won't know for sure if it was the right decision until he's 31 years old or so to see if he reaches his full potential. Maybe somebody who's been through it with both pitchers and position players can shed some more light on it.
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You have to weigh the they might get better with another season in the minors, but you get one less year of them before they decline. I'm more towards calling them up. I just feel at 25 in minors, they were never going to reach full potential. So you can either max out minors part of potential or max out big league experience potential.

Updated Tuesday, November 25 2014 @ 3:34:08 pm PST
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I was wondering over this same issue. just like everybody.

But, today I claimed this guy

Aaron Knight

He's an interesting case to study.
27yo, college drafted at 22, his salary of .20 means he spent his whole career in the minors.
Still, he seems FULLY DEVELOPED.
Only ML training is missing to achieve the limits set in his description.

I'd like to hear your opinions
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I haven't been playing long enough to know, but here's my theory on Aaron Knight. Since he was drafted at 22, I'm thinking it's possible he started with higher skills than most and didn't have to develop as much as the typical player. Still, you would think he would have missed something the last two years. I guess unless he gets to 103, you won't know he didn't lose any of his potential. It appears, though, that any skills lost will be negligible.

About young players who look like they're ready for the bigs even if their scouting report says otherwise...I would have to be desperate and/or extremely confident he'd still reach within 2 points of his potential skills with a premature move upward. I'll admit to being a perfectionist, though, and opening the door for sub-optimum performance goes against my personality. Patience is my strength and weakness in most fantasy games (in the typical fantasy sports games, for instance, I'll hold on to a guy if he stinks early in the season longer than almost anyone).
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
I think Aaron Knight can be a real productive player for you. He will strike out a bunch and won't run great but otherwise he should be solid in rf or lf, he will hit for a respectable average and he will get on base with walks. He doesn't have enough power to hit 3-5. I see him hitting in the 7 hole. Plus he hits lefty. I would feel good starting him regularly but also confident that he would be solid from the bench. Give him some playing time and see what he does. If you decide you don't want him let me know so I can put in a claim.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd like to hear your opinions

Players continue to train in the minors even after they are recommended for the majors. Its at a sub-optimal rate (Maybe 50%? Guessing. Looked around one time and saw 2-4 points per season on position players that were 26-27).

I've had good success with guys like that. See Hendricks on my team.

@OP
I believe Steve has said b/f that you get the most bang for your experience dollar if you are properly placed in the majors.

A 24 yr old in AA gets recommended for the majors at 25. But he may not be properly placed there. His internal pacing might have him at AAA. So your choices are:

- leave him in the minors for a season of sub-optimal training in hopes of maximizing the returns the following season in the majors

- bring him up at 25 and get a little less than max returns out of his major league experience

Hard to say what is best. Position players seem to have a smoother and longer period of gains from experience. I don't think there is much harm in bringing them up at 25. But if they are really below their potential, you might consider giving them another year.

Pitchers may be a different story. Their gains from experience (especially starters) seem to be really steep and drop off quicker.

Salazar on my team is an example. He was still in double AA at 24. I brought him up at the end of that season. His improvement has been pretty modest (for a pitcher) and at 26 his improvement seems to have stopped (well short of his max). Given a guy like Salazar again, I would be really tempted to leave him in AAA for his 25th year, and bring him up at 26.

Current skill is part of it. The closer they are to their max, the less harm in bringing them up. Your pitcher at AA appears to be in this category. With a pitcher too putting him in the bullpen seems to prolong the gains from experience and gives a better chance of aligning the training and XP curves.

My 2 cents. :)

Previous Page | Show All |