Help

Forum >> Help >> Pitching   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
drorp

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hi, I'm new here and wondered if I could get some input on how does the match engine choose the relievers in the games.
by reading the manual,i was under the impression that the most important reliever is the closer who pitches at end of winning games 1 or 2 innings, and the MR who comes in for a short time after the opening pitcher is too fatigued. I was also under the impression that the SS is some kind of backup just in case the supposed starter is injured or too fatigued and that LR is only in case the starter really stinks and gets quickly replaced.
I was quite surprised to see in my first games of my career here that all the time different pitchers were brought in, one time the LR was brought in at the 6th inning (why not the MR for 2 innings followed by closer?), one time it was the SS who was brought in (how come?) and one game the closer got in at the 7th inning and got super fatigued in a game that went to extra innings.

A little input would be great as I would really like to know which of the best relievers i should put at which spot.

Thanks
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Afaik can tell, the priority goes something like this:

Starter hooks.

Winning by 3 or less? If yes, Closer
Score difference 5 or less? If yes, Set up
Mid
Long
SS

That's with all your pitchers set with 1 as their inning of entry. So if your closer was set as inning of entry 9, and the pitcher hooked in the 7th up 2, you would get set-up.

Some guys might not be available due to fatigue. That slides you down the chart.

My LR almost never pitch, and when they do it is often the 8th or 9th. That's due to how I have my pitch counts and entry inning set up.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, everything is dependent on your management settings and the pitching roles. The closer generally only come in if it's a save situation. In most games, if the starter goes 5-6 innings, then a middle reliever or setup man comes into pitch. In the 8th or 9th inning, the winning team might bring in their closer.

In blow outs, the long relievers should normally be brought in to cover the innings the starter might normally have pitched. He's probably not the best pitcher, but you don't want to fatigue your bullpen if you're losing big already.

So you need to set your management setting and pitching roles accordingly. Spot starters and long relievers usually have low First Inning setting and relatively high pitch counts. Then stagger the First Inning setting for your middle relievers, setup men and closer back towards the 9th inning.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |