Help

Forum >> Help >> Closer Issues   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
cqk328

Unalaska Alaskans
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
Hey guys,

So my closer has a 1.32 ERA with an 8-10 Save/Blown Save ratio. If I only set him to come into the ninth inning, he rarely ever pitches in non-save situations, meaning over the course of the year he would get 30-50 innings. However, if I set the first inning to seven, he comes in any time it is a save situation in the seventh (unless the starter is unstoppable, which basically never happens). How can I get my closer to get more opportunities/experience without having him come in too early and end up blowing games?
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Only running 4 in the bullpen, I don't think I'd assign a closer at all and let the manager dictate who goes where to get those outs.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Closers (and any other pitcher) might be pulled into a game if you have insufficient pitching depth. If you have a lot of fatigued/injured pitchers and the manager had few options, he might have to pull guys in regardless of mgmt settings and pitching roles.

Steve
cqk328

Unalaska Alaskans
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, I know that's a problem because I have like 8/13 pitchers major league ready but I have to play one guy up to have any kind of bullpen. Its tough, hopefully my minor leaguers develop quickly.
cbuckser

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Is there a way to keep a closer from coming into a game too early when the starting pitcher is doing well? I like having my closer come into the game in the 7th some of the time, but not when my ace is on the mound and pitching a 2-hitter (which happened in my last game).
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Your closer gets the call in the 7th? Wow. How many pitches are you putting at his max?

I don't think there's anything specifically you can do to make that happen the way you stated. Here's my best suggestion--raise the number of pitches for your stud starter by 5 or 10 and lower the borderline guys by 5 or 10. Whether or not that would bring in your closer in the seventh I haven't a clue (the earliest I ever set mine at is the 8th), but someone will have to come in a bit earlier for the lesser pitchers. Maybe it will be the closer.

cbuckser

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My closer's max is 60 pitches. He'll typically pitch 30-35 pitches when he comes into a game in the 7th and saves the game. He'll rarely pitch the next day when that happens.

When he is fatigued, the starters are permitted to go longer.
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Is it ok if a closer already has almost reached the amount of blown saves from last season?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Usually the closer will be called in whenever there is a save situations. There are a couple of exceptions (i.e. starter has a no-hitter).

I you don't want your closer to come in during save situations, then you might experiment with trying him in a different role and go without a closer.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |