Help

Forum >> Help >> Training and promotion   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Ok. Decided to start a new thread rather then hijack someone else's. What's the deal with training and progression? Newtman you were saying that if players are promoted from the minors before they are "ready", then they stop improving permanently (even if put back into the minors?). Does this mean you should never promote a player until they are fully developed...? Seems highly unrealistic if that's the case... Or is there a gray area?
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
No, I was saying if you promote them before they are ready they don't receive as much training as they do at the recommended level. When you compound that over multiple weeks you get stunted growth, and the inability to reach max potential before they start declining. It is the incentive to pay attention to the scouting report knowing it may be off by 20%, but that the recommended level is not going to be off by more than one level in either direction with even a 20% deviation.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It is the incentive to pay attention to the scouting report knowing it may be off by 20%, but that the recommended level is not going to be off by more than one level in either direction with even a 20% deviation.

What? By the explanation as stated above and given in the rules, even a middle of the road skill of 10 could be off by 2.

(edited--I think I see what you meant now. The scouting level, such as outstanding, may be off by one, not the skill value. I mention this below, but the rules don't explicitly say the potential/scouting report may be wrong.)

Also, it states it is an "approximation of his current actual skill level (my emphasis)" and may be off by 20%.

The only mention of discrepancies for potential is vague as well. "Then there is a player's potential for each skill which is unknown, but eluded to through the scouting report." It seems that most of those reports have a range of around 3 points. Assuming perfect training and placement in the minors and majors, will they reach that range or can they come up short (or even exceed them)? I think it is assumed by most here than even in a perfect progression by a player, he can fail to produce what the report suggests.

Finally, I think the rules are misleading about hidden skills. "So are there hidden skills? No, there are no hidden skills." But then it goes on to say there are "fixed player values that affect certain in-game outcomes." I think Steve is working on being a politician because that's semantics. It took me a while to figure out what the heck he meant by that. Now I'm pretty sure I get it...

There are player values/skills that a player is set with from day one that will never change. The ones that immediately come to mind are leftie/rightie splits and base stealing values (for both runners and pitchers).

Updated Sunday, October 26 2014 @ 9:47:07 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, that was my interpretation of the hidden values too. Would explain why some players have drastic splits. They probably have a hidden "platoon" value.

I guess that's the danger of picking up guys off waivers. Even if they don't have big holes in thier work history and 0 years of majors experience, there is no guarantee they weren't left in A until they were 25.

Updated Monday, October 27 2014 @ 7:06:18 pm PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I was referring to the player that this thread is spun off of talking about. That player was brought up to the majors too early, that is the opposite problem of the guy left in single A til 25 when he had the "learned all he can" message for a couple seasons, but has a similar effect. The training received is far below optimal.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Looks like you can still train a player at 25. I put this guy down into the minors to see if I could correct for his being promoted early by his previous team. He spent all of last week in the minors and he seems to be getting training. I didn't have the same luck with my 26 year olds, so my assumption (with a small data set) at this point is that they are automatically suggested for promotion at 25, but they can still train at 25.

Updated Sunday, November 9 2014 @ 5:50:25 pm PST
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I see the same thing. Ariel Ramos (who has never played in the bigs but missed almost a year of training in free agency) has been in AAA since he turned 25 and has added five SI points in the three training updates. Part of that can be due to spring training experience, but between the second and third update, there was no spring training, and he still added two points.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
There is no age limit to gain training and experience. No guarantee that the rate of training doesn’t slow with age though…

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |