Help

Forum >> Help >> Fielding and Hitting Scouting Comments   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
mcrmoe

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Scouting reports are not exact. Regarding defensive skills, I've noticed (mind you only a few months playing) that regardless of what the scouting report says with respect to fielding and ranging, ranging is usually higher in a minor leaguer/rookie. If they are projected as having "amazing" or "outstanding" fielding, it simply means it can trained a bit easier in them as opposed to someone who doesn't. My theory is that of all the defensive traits, fielding is the hardest to train but achievable with the proper development.

For example Scott Martinelli was the last pick in last year's draft. As you can see his range is way higher than his fielding (15 vs 4), despite the scouting report mentioning "outstanding in the field". I predict that as he develops, his fielding will be the skill that grows the most. Coincidently in the first training update, fielding increased.

The point I'm really trying to drive home is that the scouting report projects, albeit not exactly, how a player will be after adequate development. If I where to move up Martinelli to the majors right now, his fielding would never live up to his potential.

All this applies to the offense aspect of the scouting report.

This is just an observation I picked up while looking up tons of players. I already mentioned that I'm relatively new to the game, so I'd like some input from some of the more veteran players.

Cheers!
-Moe

PS. I usually ramble on and submit a post. Afterwards I go through and "clean" it up.

Updated Saturday, October 25 2014 @ 9:19:26 am PDT
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Speed, range and arm are set skills. I've never personally seen them improve but I have seen them decline slightly in minor league players. Like all skills they can decline with age, usually beginning when a player reaches 29-31 yrs old.

All the other skills are learned and developed up to the maximum potential. A great hitter for example usually finishes up 18-20 in hitting, but could have low bat control and/or plate discipline. Some skills do not have scouting reports. Change of speed, (good) control and fielding for pitchers, bat control and plate discipline for hitters. There are also no scouting reports specifically for range or arm, and I'm not convinced these are included in the defensive scouting report.

Keep in mind that when skills decline with age a player's experience may offset that visible decline. This seems more the case with pitchers some of whom can pitch very effectively into their late 30's even if their skill levels look really low.

Updated Saturday, October 25 2014 @ 3:08:01 pm PDT

Updated Saturday, October 25 2014 @ 3:08:40 pm PDT
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I take that back about set skills. I just noticed one of my minor league pitchers had his range increase by one.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Just as in real baseball, where there is some uncertainty about a player's talent level, in Broken Bat there is also built-in uncertainty in displayed skill levels. The visible skill values for each player are an approximation of his current actual skill level and may deviate by up to 20% from it true value for some skills. Additionally, just like in real baseball, as a player plays more games, his displayed skill value will approach his true current skill level.

Think this is what you are seeing. Don't think arm, range or speed change until the age related declines.

@ Mike. Hitting scouting is just for the hitting skill. Fielding scouting is just for the fielding skill.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Seca, thanks for finding Steve's quote that I was too lazy to grab. I was really starting to wonder if others did read what Steve wrote.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I believe the info listed in the rules are hazy by design, which leads to questions. For example...

The visible skill values for each player are an approximation of his current actual skill level and may deviate by up to 20% from it true value for some skills.

This one sentence opens up a can of worms.

1. Okay, this says the current skill levels are approximate, but I don't see anything that suggests the potential skill values may be off (which I think also may be the case).

2. Skills may be off by 20%. Can they be understated? I don't think so, but I think should be the case for realism.

3. It also says the deviation may be up to 20% off for some skills. Which ones? And does this mean the others are accurate or just merely closer to reality than the others? Who knows?

Finally, I have read the rules many times; that doesn't mean everything is clear. Scouting reports say things like 'may be amazing in the field.' You may say that's perfectly clear; I disagree. Have you watched my KC Royals outfielders in the World Series? They are 'amazing in the field' and that has more to do with range than fielding. I think it's a reasonable question to ask if that's the case with Broken Bat.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, the scouting report is suppose to be somewhat inaccurate by design. As a player has been around longer, this scouting report will become more accurate (and you can see some values adjust accordingly).

Steve
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Another question on this topic. If I have a 25 year old player who is 11/13 POT but has a scouting report of "not much remove to improve", does that mean that all of his POT is just in one or two areas, or that the scouting report is bogus, or possibly the POT rating is bogus? Or all of the above?

This guy for instance: Stanley Burnett

Updated Sunday, October 26 2014 @ 2:03:23 pm PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Rock, that typically happens when a player is promoted too early and a player doesn't get optimal training when they are young. He will never reach his full potential because he will only get the training he missed in the minors very slowly (I've seen 35 yos steep in decline have stat pops from training they were making up from minors). Eventually he will get the full training, but not before he is already in decline.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
My interpretation of the 2 training messages.

Players gain SI through both training and experience.

- training happens naturally each week; no play requirement
- maximum training occurs at the recommended level (don't think there is any uncertainty in level recommendation)
- the amount of training received in each skill on each update has a random element to it
- at age 29 players get a "probably too old to mature much more" message. SI gained from training is now close to (if not) zero. They may still gain SI through experience tho.

- experience is gained by playing
- experience gains are steep at the beginning and decrease over time
- once a player can no longer benefit from experience he gets a "not much room to improve" message
- I believe his SI is capped at that point; I don't think he can go back to the minors and train, but I personally haven't tried it

Couple more thoughts:

- if a player has a good starting SI and gets good random on training updates, he might be ready for the majors (ie., can cap out through experience gains) b/f his recommendation says majors

- some players have low starting SI and get bad random on training; these guys may never reach potential through no fault of the manager

- starting pitchers in particular seem to burn through their experience in a fairly short period of time (season or two)

Previous Page | Show All |