Help

Forum >> Help >> 2 More Basic Questions   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
These questions are probably somewhere in the forums, but I can't seem to locate them.

First, how severe is the defensive penalty for playing completely out of position (not listed on the player's info) and partially out of position (listed in lower case letters)? Has this been quantified at all?

Second, I read in the news that older players' skills were dropped in the off season. Does this mean they will not drop during the season? I know players can improve throughout the season, but can their skills dip due to aging? (I know all players' skills can drop due to better assessment of such skills. I don't know if they worsen during the season due to age, though.)

Thanks for your help.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Second question first. :)

Age related drops only occur once per season in the off-season. You might occasionally see a skill drop during the season, but this is due to the accuracy of the player's scouting improving as you get to know the play.

It's hard to accurately predict what you will see with an out of position player.

- errors are a bit random (I had an out-of-position SS who had a .960 fielding % with nothing on his player card, and .920 F% with small ss on his player card)

- position matters. Players up the middle (2nd, SS, CF) get a lot more fielding attempts and will make more errors when out of position.

- player skill matters. If the player has awesome fielding, that can mitigate the number of errors.

Worth noting that there is more lost than just F%. Out of position infielders will turn fewer double plays. Out of position outfielders will have fewer assists.

In general, training 2nd or SS can be pretty painful. The 2B I trained went from 40 errors in 100 games as 2b to 19 errors in 153 games as 2B. IMO there needs to be significant benefit. If training someone for CF, probably better to have him learn the position in one of the corners first.

My personal experience with catchers is that there is little penalty. I've played OF at C the past few seasons. They have been amoung league leaders in CS% and fewest PB.

Previous Page | Show All |