Help

Forum >> Help >> Turning Two   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Ah. Thanks! A DP in the stats is definitely assigned to all who participated. My misunderstanding of that could be part of the discrepancy. (ie., we seem to have a lot of step-on-the-bag and throw DPs).
Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not very experienced yet, but I think that position eligibility makes the difference.
I'm dead last in my league too, but my MI are better defensively than most of my league's ones. They "only" lack MI eligibility.
I'm trying to convert them at the position, but needs time.

p.s.: playing your second player at 2B is a waste of time and resources, IMHO. He's an OF.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I recently converted players to 2B and SS at the same time, and I could almost watch the DPs go up over the season and a half as they adjusted to the positions.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
If your 2B and SS have only limited positional experience, that will drag down your double plays. But that should get better overtime.

Steve
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the responses.

I am curious about your experience Holmes. Personally, I don't think I would convert a middle infielder again.

@ Meccanodonte
The 2nd player I listed may be best suited to work in concessions. :) He is 25 and has positive scouting for his fielding, so I'm still hoping he'll be ok. His batting is so weak that if he can't play a premier defensive position, he doesn't have a job with my team.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I too am converting a shortstop and 2b. It's an adventure. I don't intend to convert again and hopefully you won't have to either Seca. I expect appropriate positional training in the minors can avoid needing to do that. However for the right player I would do it again as long as I am not in a pennant race.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Agreed. :) So long as I don't mismanage the minors, shouldn't have to go through it again.

I guess it depends on how long players will stick with your club. I can't see my guys sticking for more than 4-5 seasons, so the 2+ season transformation process probably wasn't a good decision for me.

I'm trying to remember the low-light. :P It was either 3 or 4 errors between the 2 of them in a single inning. Should have made a note.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Seca, you question made me look at my DPs in a little more detail, and the result was actually quite surprising. When I inherited my team in 2015, my infield was old, partly in positions not fitting the talents, the farm sucked and the talent I wanted wasn't available from the scrap heap. I didn't have much of a choice and started converting players, essentially a young 3B to 2B starting with the 2016 season and two claimed outfielders to SS and 1B starting 2017. The 3B came over from 2B, but was fully trained for the position. The overall number of DPs looked pretty much as one would expect (and the dip didn't hurt much - I won the playoffs in 2017):
2015: 230
2016: 214
2017: 146
2018: 250
2019: 260 (extrapolated to full season)
The surprising thing is who they're credited to:
______1B___2B___SS___3B
2015:_16___92__102___11
2016:_12___80___91___15
2017:__4___52___56___21
2018:_87___56___65___19
2019:_76___78___68___16 (extrapolated to full season)
The massive increase of DPs credited to 1B can hardly just be a consequence of position reshuffling... do I remember correctly that something changed in the crediting of DPs around that time???
So, yes, there was a dip, and yes, it seems to have worked out in the long run. Would I convert three infielders at the same time again? In that situation, absolutely, but I'm not planning to get myself into that situation again. But the replacement to my aging current 3B, I could only train to 3b in the minors, so he has a bit left to learn, as well. He'll best do it right now, when I'm 13 wins behind a promotion and 20 wins ahead of a demotion...

Updated Friday, September 12 2014 @ 5:00:54 am PDT

Updated Friday, September 12 2014 @ 5:03:30 am PDT
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
When I took over my team in the middle of last season, I found an OF as a waiver claim I wanted to convert to SS. He is now 15-15-16 with a small ss. So I moved my SS to 2B. He's 12-15-12 and an all star twice. I then moved the 2B, a lefty with 12-15-14 to CF. He may be my LF in a season or two. Additionally, I am converting one of my best hitters to 1B. He's 13-13-7 and I think born for the position. I am also converting a catcher at the big league level. Since I am just getting started and not terribly competitive right now I felt the wholesale changes were a good investment. My pitching is my real problem but that appears to just put me in good company. That I am slowly gaining on.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
This is potentially a good time to make changes like that. We're at about mid-season and if you're out of the pennant chase and not at risk of demoting, it might be a good time to start something like that.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |