Help

Forum >> Help >> Analyze my starting pitchers   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
ramar905

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If anyone has the time or the inclination, I would appreciate an outsiders opinion of my starting pitchers. I know that none of them are great but I was sure that they would perform better than they have been at the level of competition I am at. I am at a complete loss and feeling pretty frustrated with the seeming inconsistency of their performance in relation to their skill indices.

http://brokenbat.org/team/32
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Just glancing at previous season stats as compared to this years they all seem to be preforming at what you expect. All ruffly the same baa and whip, I generally tend to base performance of pitchers more on those than anything else. I'm sure they all have 8 scorless followed by 3 with 6 runs, but thats kinda to be expected from the way this game goes. Though I would have expected better given the digression of league, but I didnt look at the difference in competition.
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The biggest problem you have is probably your defense. They are quite abysmal. But that seems to be a general consensus with many teams, bad defense pulling teams down. I am no exception to that. My ss/2b combo has really hurt me this year. Looks like your up the middle is whats hurting you too.
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Your starting pitchers generally look OK:
  • None are aging; two look as if they will probably be still developing
  • All have good pitching skills (I add Vel, CoS, Mov & Con to help make a comparison)
  • Iwasaki and Espinsoa have a little less control than I like (11 or more), but they are by no means awful and not everyone would worry about this; certainly I have seen pitchers with low control and good stats

I can't spot one major anomaly but I think there are three things you could look at
  1. Fatigue - all have adequate stamina but none have a massive amount. If they start well and then get blown away this could be the issue. If so, try shortening the pitch counts. I would consider getting a spot starter who can start the occasional game should they need rest.
  2. Defense - Your defensive support for pitchers could improve. look in the game manual and follow the Setting Up Your Defense guidance to put them in positions that suit their attributes. One hint: I would never play a poor fielder in the infield.
  3. Your opposition. Although you've dropped a level they is no reason why they can't be better than the level above if they are well managed. Look and compare your pitching, defense and batting line-up and stats with theirs (especially with those ahead of you). This is what you have to beat
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Sorry, I have just looked at your league position I wondered what you our worrying about with a 18 game lead over third in your division.

I have also looked at your history. Looking at the runs for and against; it seems to me that you are buying runs by sacrificing defense.

If you want to reduce the number in your runs against column it may cost in the runs for. You have to find a balance that suits but I +1.5 run per game advantage would probably more than adequate were Syracuse not doing the same.

I suspect that Syracuse are a decent team and are giving you a run for your money.
ramar905

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you for taking the time to look over my team.

It reaffirmed what I was thinking, that defense is contributing to their comparatively poor performance. There really is a big trade off when considering what type of team to field. My middle infielders are tearing the cover off of the ball but their weak fielding may be allowing opposing batters to reach base more frequently.

One anomaly that keeps perplexing me though is when comparing my pitchers to others in league their under achieving seems to be much greater than one might expect.

Take Don Price for instance.
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think this is an anomaly.

Your team wins because your batting stats are great but base running, pitching and defense not so much.

Poor fielding will damage your pitching stats because your defense will give up extra bases and won't get all the outs they might. Ultimately this will result in Runs Against and mess up your pitchers' ERA.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
When thinking about the defensive differences that middle infielders make, I just look at the difference between Dan Uggla and Andrelton Simmons. Uggla allows hits to pass through gaps that don't exist with a decent defender, whereas Simmons takes away hits that would go through gaps that would exist on 25 ML squads. Simmons is still developing as a hitter, while Uggla is now looking like an ever increasingly bad contract. The range, fielding, and (for shortstops more than 2b) arms stats reflect these differences.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
... and if it makes you feel any better, the random number generator element of the coding hates me as well. Dunwich with a much older team and generally bad pitching is keeping a lead that just feels like my squad will not be able to overcome, given their tendency to choke. Considering my plan was to start winning next season before this season started, I am on course, but considering I have been hovering in 2nd by 2-8 games for much of this season (with a few games in 1st and 3rd) it is so tantalizingly close that it is really frustrating.

Edit: Game 7 of the season series against Moscow is a case in point of the random number generator screwing me over, McIntyre gives up 3 runs and puts two more on base, and hits the hook of 5. Kemp comes in in the 3rd inning, and due to being the only long reliever I have him set for a hook of 5 as well, which he gives up 4 runs over a few innings. I would lower the hook, but I am afraid that will lead to overworking my short bullpen. On the other hand with the LR coming in in situations that I can still win, and taking the game out of reach (by giving up multiple runs when I am down already) I essentially can chalk up a loss when he comes in.

Updated Thursday, July 3 2014 @ 3:42:36 pm PDT

Previous Page | Show All |