Help

Forum >> Help >> High ERAs   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
nobodyjones

Seattle Rickey
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
There are many ways you can proceed due to your team's skill and level. Sign goood to very good potential college players every week and promote them to your big league team if they have AA talent. Sign 33-34 year old players with the most skills. Scout for potential in free agency to build around your best prospects.
Jalapeno5

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the constructive and non-patronising responses on this.

As a Brit who loves baseball but unfortunately hasn't had the chance to play the sport from a young age, I think it's a bit too easy to get beguiled by the hitting and pitching elements of the game, and overlook the importance of the core skills of throwing and fielding.

Good to see Broken Bat recognises the variance between players in these regards - to me errors in MLB are relatively rare and may cost a team a run or two in a game, but it's easy to disregard an individual's overall propensity to surrender extra bases without being charged with an error. I suppose the ability to quickly and accurately return the ball to the optimum base isn't inherent within all players, and this is what's reflected in the fielding stats.

I have read the manual thoroughly and aligned my team to batting and fielding recommendations, but I've not sought out players with proficiency in these stats to the detriment of hitting; perhaps that's something to look into.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out with this!

ReekyLeek

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I took the route of pitching and defence over offence and it has worked magically for me. Took a few seasons but I'm currently 51-18 on a 12 game winning streak and had success in the cup also. You have to be patient if you're rebuilding, you won't have success overnight. But once you start winning it makes it that much more satisfying. Until then what I suggest is to scout and find players with high potential for your minor league teams (13-14 bars of potential). The only skills that stay more or less the same is speed, range and arm until they decline with age. That being said stock up your team with great defenders with high potential. Make sure you do your draft every week also. Attempt to change your players positions while they are in the minors. It'll make your players more versatile when their ready to play in the majors. Until these players are ready find some cheap talent in the free agency to fill the holes in your team.
Jalapeno5

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Cheers all - I'll give that a go; start by rebuilding the infield with a renewed focus on fielding and go from there.

Thanks again!
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Why do pitchers with high control have high ERA's?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
In general they shouldn't.

In fact, if you throw a low control pitcher out there, he'll probably get killed (especially with the additional walks).

Do you have specific examples?

A pitcher will need more than just control to get players out though. He needs control to hit the strike zone, but he needs some combination of velocity, movement and change of speeds so that hitters don't just smack his fat pitches coming over the plate.

Steve

Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Here's an example of a pitcher with 16 control.

Here he is: http://brokenbat.org/player/45561
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
All he has is control. Every other pitching ability is at or below average.

He knows where the zone is. But none of his pitches are good enough to consistently get batters out.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah...plus he's a left hander pitching to a lot of right handed batters.

Steve
ReekyLeek

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
When choosing starting pitchers the 4 essential skills are the first four, velocity/change of speed/movement/control. As for stamina you have control over the pitch count in management so as long as you don't overdue the pitch count any stamina above 10 should give you between 80-90 pitches. While in a perfect situation these 4 skills are balanced, it is not always possible. It is possible to have success with low control pitchers, but they do have inconsistencies, that being said try not to exceed 2 starters with control below 10 as it could be taxing on the bullpen if they aren't going far into games. You want to avoid a reliever having to throw 100+ pitches and getting injured, which I found the hard way last season. The best way to gauge in the end is by adding up the four primary pitching skills. I like my starters to have 50+ Skill points in these areas. The highest on top of my rotation and the lowest to the bottom. Total skill points include stamina and defence. While defence is not a must for a pitcher it does help, but when trying to fin starting pitchers remember that these skills are added to the skill index an not be biased by total skills but by the pitching skills. This has helped me put a pretty good starting 4 with a decent number 5 when one is needed.

Previous Page | Show All |