Help

Forum >> Help >> Finances   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Schlim

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So if I release a guy, his salary is off the books, right?

So what's to stop you from picking a pricey guy up the day after finances are run, then dropping him the day before the next finances are run. He would never show up on the books and would essentially be playing for free, right?
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Except if he is actually good, then everyone would put a waiver claim on him... or at least someone would at some point. Theoretically, yes, you could get away with a salary for players of very little (not allowed to drop below the minimum roster size at any time), but your team would suck because someone would put in waiver claims on your good players and you would lose some of them. Waiver period is also random up to 5 days meaning they could be unavailable to anybody for 5 out of the 7 real life days of the week. All around what you describe isn't done because it would be stupid to do.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
There is nothing to prevent that...but I doubt you could put together a winning team that way.

Steve
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
I tried to do something like this with a decentish pitching prospect who was probably too old for the minors and lost him on the waiver wire. There's no certainty in it.

(My one consolation is that he hasn't pitched well for his new team at all)
yanksfan13

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You could use players short term that way, but with the current financial climate in the game, you shouldn't be in the position to have to do that for very long, even with the most bankrupt of teams. So use it as a short term stopgap strategy and not a long term plan, that's my advice.
Schlim

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Got ya, that makes sense. Good, that wouldn't be fun if that worked.

Thanks everybody for helping me understand how the salaries and timing works.

Previous Page | Show All |