Help

Forum >> Help >> Acquiring Players   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
robinsmd

Loveland Tigers
V.10

Broken Bat Baseball
Hi there... New to the game. It seems great so far. Big baseball fan so I know the ins and outs of baseball. I do have a question regarding acquiring new players. Could somebody outline the pros/cons of each method of acquiring players (Only looking for analysis on HS/College/Latin/Asian/International)? Thanks!
Krakonico

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hi Robin, and welcome to BrokenBat and also to the VI.17 (also my home in the other side).

For me I only choose from the Latin-american pool, reason No. 1, I'm Dominican, and I would like to manage an entire roster of "Latinos".
But the main reason is that in that pool you can get a 16yo with "very good" or "good" potential, with 6 - 7 years of minor developing you can have a 22 - 23 ready for the big roster. The only setback is that normally they come with little skill level and maybe they are not what the scout said, and sometimes you need to sack them after three-four seasons.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
If your team is in need of more talent sooner, then you're better off taking college players -- they'll be ready sooner.

If not, Latin Academy and High School are probably a better option.

International and Asia are more risky.

Of course, if everyone else is draining one particular pool, then it becomes more advantageous to pick from the others.

Steve
yanksfan13

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
To Steve's point about talent pools: be sure to check the waiver wire often. Compare the amount of guys who have been recently released with the amount that are still available. It will tell you how many guys weren't good enough to make the cut versus how many are still left in that pool. For example, if you see a bunch of college guys on the waiver wire that don't look that great, but you notice that the number of college prospects available is a bit low, then you'll know that some of the weaker prospects have been drained out of that pool already, and you'll have a better chance of pulling a good prospect.

Someone point it out if there's a flaw in that logic please.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
One problem with that is that you don't know the ratio of good players to bad ones in the initial pool. Another problem is that you don't know the number of good ones kept versus the ones released. An annoyance is the fact it requires checking to make sure the player is from this year's draft (as opposed to cutting a guy who isn't working out after a few years).

Previous Page | Show All |