Help

Forum >> Help >> Low SI, High Potential   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
If I have a minor leaguer who has good overall potential and a lot of positives in his scouting report, but has an SI of only 20 or 21, will his SI catch up to a similar player with a higher SI but worse potential and negatives in his scouting report, or is he "stunted" and less valuable overall?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
SI is based on current skills. Scouting reports are based on potential. So its possible that a player can have low SI and high potential. It may just take him a little longer to develop.

Steve
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks Steve, I was struggling choosing between a couple free agents and I just haven't played long enough to know how these things tend to play out.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
SI is meaningless without knowing the age. 20 SI on a 17 or 18 yo can still turn into 110+ SI player at 28, 20 SI 25 yo is another matter.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I picked up several players like that while restocking my minor leagues. They scout well and have decent potential, but low SI in part due to missing 1/2 - 3/4 of a season of training sitting on the transfer wire.

I'm curious to see if they can "recover" from the missed training. But I'm dubious, and do have these guys sitting close to the jump seat should I need the roster spot.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
These ones were young, 17 - 19 or so. I went with slightly older guys with similar potential and better SI's.

Yup, I always check to see how long they've been rotting in free agency before I sign them.
MrTwoPlums

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Don't be too afraid to take a gamble on a player who's been a free agent too long if his potential is good enough. You might get lucky with a player like Angel Arredondo. He was released by his old team at 19 and I signed him over 9 months later when he was 23 with an SI about 60.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
My minors are well stocked, it's my major league roster that needs talent. Guys who will contribute there in three seasons are more valuable to me in the near-term than ones that will contribute in five or six. Once I get a steady flow of talent going, I'll be more able to allow younger guys to reach their potential in their own time. That's my preference actually. I think that's the more reliable formula for success.

Previous Page | Show All |