Help

Forum >> Help >> overall help   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
rjpj69

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
it seems i have had some luck in finding starting pitching and a closer. As 4 of my sterters and closer all made the all star team. But, i am having trouble finding good middle and setup pitchers. Could someone give me some advice on what i am doing wrong or what i should be looking for?

Also i am looking for some help with fielders. team batting avg. is only .269. Not having much luck drafting fielders. As a pitcher always seems to be the best choice. The few fielders i have drafted stink.

Any advice or help would be welcome. thx!
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Pitching
First think I would say is (in the words of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy) "don't panic" - you appear to have a very strong starting rotation. It also appears to be strong enough for your level of competition and young enough to develop further.

To compare the relative strength, I add up the four pitching attributes (Vel, CoS, Mov & Con).

To me your starter rotation seems to been very strong: Rocha (54); O'Brien (62); Rivera (53); Simmons (55); Baldwin (45)

The long reliever comes in when these fail to make a quality start, I wonder if you need two. It will depend on the frequency that your starters fail early on.

This is a good place to put weak but developing starters who can get a lot of pitching time when the game is usually lost.

MR Carter (49) appears to be your strongest pitcher in the bullpen and I would normally play my strongest reliever at CLR and the second strongest at SET. However, it is useful that MRs have a bit of stamina and this maybe in your thinking.

LHS / RHS are good for very short stints on the mound and are again useful for exposing some of your developing pitchers. Limit the risk by keeping the pitch count low.

If you are having problems with relievers it may be worth looking at reducing their pitch counts.

This is the relative strength of your bullpen:
Carter (49); McCoy (39); Medina (31); Amaro (44); Cappelli (35); Hughes (40)

Some of you bullpen is quite young, and could have been strengthened with an older free agent but this is not possible after 1st September when the rosters freeze.

Do look at the Setting Up Your Rotation and Bullpen sections of the Game Manual
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Fielding
Again look at the Setting Up Your Defense sections of the Game Manual

Summary:

Infielders:
C: RH high Arm attribute
1B: LH
2B: RH Fld, Rng and a bit of Arm
3B: RH Fld, Arm and a bit of Rng
SS: RH Fld, Rng and Arm (your best fielder)

Outfielders
CF: Rng and Arm
RF: Arm and a bit of Rng
LF: Rng and a bit of Arm

Fielding skills are not essential at C, 1B, OF and DH. CF should be your best fielding OF.

Players can play out of their designated position to better suit their skills. I think it takes 2-3 years to develop and they make more errors to begin with. The sooner you move a player to their best position the better. You can assign positions in the minors to help this transition.
rjpj69

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you for the response! I am a life long baseball fan and understand what the game is all about. Just like in real life nothing is set in stone. I am trying to build a team full of younger players I can built around. That is why my bullpen is full of younger pitchers. The more real game time they see. The sooner you will find out if they will be any good or not.

I also look for players who get dumped because they are to old for the minors any more. Had most of my luck with these players. Most of the players I count on came from there.

Do not want to count on older players who will only be around for a year or 2 max. But seem to be having no luck with the draft.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Middle relievers aren't much different than other pitchers, except they usually don't need much stamina. Keep their hook and pitch count low.

In your league, .269 isn't a terrible batting average -- provided their OBP and SLG are decent. Overall batting average in Broken Bat is usually in the low .260s, but tends to be a little lower in upper leagues.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |