Help

Forum >> Help >> Manager not listening to management preferences   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Fatigue and your pitching settings are definitely the cause. And your pitching settings are the cause of your relief pitchers' fatigue.

The series against Fresno ran normally; against Brownsville two of your starters were hooked.

Your starters lost 9 of 10 games (and were hooked in two.

First look at you starting rotation, you currently have a four man rotation with one pitcher injured and two unassigned (who will not contribute). I can't tell what the case was.

You have sufficient stamina (down to 12) for five starters. Those with 10 and 11 could start too. Pick the best quality of these.

Then look at your reliever set-up; it maybe worth resetting to defaults to see what is suggested but then you would have to reset all the others.

You have no long reliever assigned; this guy comes in when your starter is hooked, suggest with a pitch count of 70, hook of 5 or more and first inning of 2.

MR count 50, hook 3, first inning 5
Consider a second MR
RHS / LHS 5-20 depending on experience ,1, 7
SET 20-30; 2 or 3; 7 or 8
CLR 30, 3, 9

For information more read the Game Strategy section of the manual on setting up your bullpen
buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Steve - I know they were fatigued. That is my problem; the manager refused to pull out a pitcher even if he was giving up 9 runs. Look at the second game; Vince Simmons got destroyed and the manager did nothing to stop it.

crackit - I just made the change to a four-man rotation because the first three are the only ones I have been able to get decent production from. Hwang and Larsen have been lights-out up to recent.The fourth is a guy who has done well this season before experiencing a 21-game injury that I just scooped off of waivers because I need a change.

Bolden and Simmons have been pitching terribly, so I pulled them from the rotation to stop pitching so badly / rest.

I appreciate the suggestions and will try my best to use them. I can't afford to lose any more games even if my position in the league is as good as set.

Updated Wednesday, April 16 2014 @ 12:11:19 am PDT
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
The point is the manager is not the problem, he made no decision because he had no options available because he his restricted by pitching settings and the level of pitcher fatigue

In the first three games against Brownsville your starting pitchers were hooked meaning that your lower stamina relief pitchers were done:
  • Taylor 149 pitches
  • De Fazio 121 pitches
  • Rodriguez 107 pitches
  • Lane 99 pitches

The closer will only come in save situations, I think the rest of your pitchers were in starting roles but I cannot be sure of this

Sacking your manager will not fix your problem

You can extend the hook on your starters; limit the use of your relief pitchers so they tire less or have more relief pitching options to share the load.

In particular I recommend you have a low quality, high stamina long reliever who can pitch deep into the game if the starter is pulled and where you probably have little hope of winning (this is a good development opportunity for young potential starters)

Without knowing your pitching settings I cannot suggest specifics

But I repeat the manager is not the problem and sacking him will fix nothing
nobodyjones

Seattle Rickey
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
article

Updated Wednesday, April 16 2014 @ 2:49:27 am PDT
buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
crackit -
Thanks for all the help. I truly appreciate it.

Rodriguez is the only pitcher I consider to be low-stamina, but I understand. I just don't see why the closer can't be used when he's literally the only fresh arm in the bullpen, even if it's just a little bit. I also had Rueben Rosas, whom I originally had in the starting rotation to give him good experience, but pulled due to performance. He since has done better in his role as a reliever. He was perfectly fine to go, and has a good chance to develop decent stamina, which is also why I am amazed they didn't put him in.

I had a 35 pitch /1 home run / 3 run limit for all my relievers is the point, and the limits were not taken into consideration, which is why I am posting this thread asking about it in the first place.

If losing 10+ (we'll see how many it ends up with) games in a row because of tired relief pitchers (I also could say lack of run support) is not a legitimate reason to fire a manager, when would be a good time for firing a manager and what would good reasons be?
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball

I just don't see why the closer can't be used when he's literally the only fresh arm in the bullpen, even if it's just a little bit.

As I understand it, the closer is the closer - period

I also had Rueben Rosas, whom I originally had in the starting rotation to give him good experience, but pulled due to performance. He since has done better in his role as a reliever. He was perfectly fine to go, and has a good chance to develop decent stamina, which is also why I am amazed they didn't put him in.

What assignment did Rosas have at that time? If he was unassigned, I am not sure whether or not he would be used, perhaps someone else knows.

I had a 35 pitch /1 home run / 3 run limit for all my relievers is the point, and the limits were not taken into consideration, which is why I am posting this thread asking about it in the first place.

I can't explain this but in general I think the relief pitchers had been over-pitched because your starters failed for three games in a row against Brownsville.

The Fresno series I think you simply got swept by the better team, the pitching selections seem to have run normally.

If losing 10+ (we'll see how many it ends up with) games in a row because of tired relief pitchers (I also could say lack of run support) is not a legitimate reason to fire a manager, when would be a good time for firing a manager and what would good reasons be?

In truth the manager has limited influence but "tweaks" game play by increasing or decreasing the probability of certain game time decisions.

He should have the attributes that reflect the way you, as owner, want the game to be played; see the game manual section on managers.
  • Does he try to manufacture runs more or less often?
  • Does he hook pitchers quickly or slowly?
  • Is he likely to make player substitutions?
  • Player development is not currently a factor

Your priority is to sign players of sufficient quality. Then to set-up the defence, bullpen, and batting order. Finally the bench management decisions on base running, pinch hitting and running substitutions plus pitching management items.

You are in control, the manager just increases or decreases the probability of certain decisions. There may be a more suitable manager to make decisions in line with your wishes (but you may not find one that matches precisely). Even so, he is not the priority.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
There is excessive pitch count logic that kicks in over 150 pitches, so a guy doesn’t throw 300 pitches or something unrealistic. However, what should the manager do if everyone in the bullpen is either fatigued or injured?

The best thing to do is make sure you’re fatigue limits are high and thus the relievers will come in with some existing fatigue.

Steve
buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
crackit -

If it was real life, I feel like we'd put in the closer even if it wasn't a save situation.

I had Rosas as a middle reliever. He wasn't playing at all though.

About the pitching, I would definitely say I got swept by the better team in Fresno. I guess I just didn't expect my team to get torched by Brownsville. I try my best to sign the best players I can. They just haven't been performing well lately.

I do appreciate all the advice.

Steve -
I raised the fatigue limits, so hopefully that will help. Thank you!

admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Exhausted Tomohiro Anraku Loses 17-1 In Koshien Final After 772 Pitches In Nine Days

Wow...that's crazy how many pitches they have a 16 yo throwing over 3 days. I don't know, maybe that's the norm in Japan?

Steve
buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
If you were looking at replacing your current manager with a guy who has actually won multiple championships, would that be a good move?

Previous Page | Show All |