Help

Forum >> Help >> How to ID decent prospects & youth quality question   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Edmund Blackadder

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hi Everybody,

Just starting out and I have a few questions.

To start, I'd like to check out my minors and see who is worth keeping. I could tell in 1-2 cases, and I promoted the old ones who looked worth trying and were shown as ready, but many have little real info. Any hints on how to tell when someone is or is not worth keeping? Many good things in scouting is my first guess.

Second, it seems many of my kids are playing in a silly position. I assume that is normal and I just need to move them to one that makes more sense based on their range/arm and projected fielding? I did see a lot of ML players with wierd positions for the skills too though...

Third, I just scouted a pitcher who is 16 but has a 40 SI with "good" potential. (5 in velocity, CoS, Control, and Stamina with a 4 in Movement.) That seems, um, good? Should I be excited or does that not really matter?
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
V.8

Broken Bat Baseball
I think you have answered most of your own questions.

The clues to how good a prospect is are:
  • the scouting report (which I think is about 20% accurate)
  • their skills ratings
  • the rate their skills grow develop
  • the way they perform when they play (usually in spring training); they develop more with playing experience than training
  • how they compare to similar aged players elsewhere, for example available through free agency

None of these are wholly reliable

Yes, move them to more sensible positions

Your pitcher looks good but it is too early to tell. Most of your minor league players seem to have good scouting reports, just watch them develop and give them as much experience as possible during spring training.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I think the best metrics are the scouting report and SI compared to other youngsters of a similar age.

I would suggest that you fill up you roster to the 50 player max and then you can start dropping the weakest minor leaguer as you want to pick up additional players.

Steve

Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
I have a habit of never wanting to let my minor league players go, so the decisions get really tough once my roster gets up to 50.
Edmund Blackadder

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm up to 47 now, and am trying to make/save room for hopeful waiver claims. I need to upgrade a number of ML positions. I have some players I am using now that I can probably afford to drop if I can get a few players off the waiver wire.

Is there any way to know how many people have placed or did place waiver claims on someone?

Can you scout a new youth player if you have 50 players? If not, I expect I would want to go with 49 so I can check each week in the hopes of getting a star.

Thank you all for your help!

Updated Sunday, March 23 2014 @ 8:44:07 pm PDT
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
You can view all your waiver claims on your Transfer page (at the top).

There is no way to scout new players unless you're under to 50 player maximum.

Steve
Edmund Blackadder

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Making a lot of use of that screen. :-)

Can I tell how many other people tried to claim someone? Was I one of 2 or one of 20?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
If you go to the individual player, it will tell you how many claims there are if you hover over the Waiver Claim button.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |