Help

Forum >> Help >> Free Agency/Waiver System   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
In theory, the use of that kind of priority on waivers seems to be fairer, but it isn’t.

On top of ruining the claiming system, if there was such thing in broken bat, the priority list would always have the top spots filled with strong teams, because it would be easier for these teams to restrain themselves from claiming decent players and wait for the great ones to show up.

So basically, weak teams would never get a top player.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, that type of system could get complicated as pointed out. If you claim just the average roster filler, should you go to the back of the line and miss out on getting an all-star?

Or would we need to implement a tiered waiver claim system whereby grabbing a roster filler wouldn't necessarily hurt your chances for the next all-star to come along.

Steve

newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It would make the use of waiver claims more strategic if you had a priority system. Instead of throwing out waiver claims on everyone who is an upgrade, people might be more picky as to who they go for. Personally, I think the system is fine and fairest as is, but the priority based on claim history is the only fair change I can see.

Updated Thursday, March 6 2014 @ 9:52:06 am PST
Jynxed

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The basic premise would be if you claim an average guy you would be at the back of line no matter who the player was out there next. No need to base it on potential or anything.

Reading all the comments here though I agree it would probably be a difficult system to use here. In my mind though I look at it as I would rather guarantee I win the lottery once every 40 times than hope I get lucky enough to win it once or even twice during the same time frame.
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think it's already understood how a priority system would work, and I'll say it again, that would kill the spirit of this claiming system.

Everyone would be holding on their claims for the top players and many decent players would reach free agent unclaimed, just to be snagged 1 minute after midnight by the first team to click on the sign button, and I can assure you guys there would be teams ready to pounce and gorge on those players at midnight, gaining a huge and unfair advantage over those that couldn't be online at that specific time.

That was what was happening here before, in a much larger scale. This new system was brought in to move away from that model because it was extremely unfair.

A priority system would be a move backward towards those very, very sad days in broken bat history.
nobodyjones

Seattle Rickey
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Waiver ideas for the dev, but not important because there are other aspects of the game that are worth discussing.
3% chance reduction per waiver clam.
15% max chance reduction per season.
max 1 claim per deadline day.
5% chance reduction per waiver clam.
25% max chance reduction per season.
10% chance reduction per waiver clam.
50% max chance reduction per season.

Updated Thursday, March 6 2014 @ 3:20:50 pm PST
Arizona

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Sometimes people get more than one waiver claim a time at the deadline.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I started out with a terrible team almost all over 35. No way I could have replaced that only getting to win one claim per day in one off-season. I needed bulk replacements, and got it by claiming untapped potential players.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I started out with a terrible team almost all over 35. No way I could have replaced that only getting to win one claim per day in one off-season. I needed bulk replacements, and got it by claiming untapped potential players.

This is an excellent point...everybody focuses on the proven talent that it's hyper-competitive to acquire, when really there are a lot of undeveloped talent that you can get through free agency.

Steve
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Exactly. Many teams who had been neglected by previous owners need free agents to bridge the few seasons until their farm has developed. They don't need the few superstar players with 100+ claims if they can successfully scout players that are still useful in a certain capacity for one or two seasons. If they are penalized for successfully picking realistically available players, they have a problem. (On the other hand, they don't need a bonus for being bad in the race for top talent - why send Mike Trout to the Gulf Coast League?)
I'm the type who thinks it never hurts to look at the numbers. And, yes, I know this analysis would have been more interesting at the turn of the season, with the waiver chase going at full speed. However, from what I remember, the result would be pretty much the same with better statistics.
I currently find 39 players (P and NP) on waivers. 29 are unclaimed, and probably most of them will clear waivers, so they're not interesting for this question. One player has 20 claims with less than two days to go (so there's a bit of star potential there); four have between four and 13 claims. These are the players for whom any priority system would have a certain effect which we might call fair or unfair, depending on perspective. Five players have exactly one waiver claim (four with less than one day to go, one with two days).
In other words, if we had a priority system in place right now that penalizes managers for making successful waiver claims, half the managers having their future chances reduced would be penalized for absolutely nothing, as they are the only one making a claim on their current pick, anyway.

Updated Friday, March 7 2014 @ 2:55:37 am PST

Previous Page | Show All |