Help

Forum >> Help >> No Closer?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Jynxed

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
How effective would it be to just have setup men and no defined closer? Just curious if it works at all.....sort of a closer by committee approach.
curtisp5286

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It works fine if you have a few relievers who are pitching well. I've been doing this on my team all season. Check it out.

Curtis P
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
There is not inherent advantage to using a closer. The one difference is that it you have a closer, he will come in for close situations automatically, whereas a setup man or other reliever comes in based on the pitch count/hook of the current pitcher.

Steve
the gizmo

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
How/what are the save situations set up to activate in game engine?
curtisp5286

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not really understanding the question. Are you asking under what scenarios will the game engine have to closer enter the game?
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
V.8

Broken Bat Baseball
A save situation occurs when there is a lead of no more than three runs and the potential tying run either on base, at bat or on deck.

I think in brokenbat your closer will enter
  • when there is a save situation and
  • at the start of the inning his First Inning criteria is met
  • but also during an inning when the previous pitcher's hook criteria is met and the previous two criteria apply
curtisp5286

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
That is not actually true. If he pitches a whole inning with his team leading by 3 runs or less then it does not matter if the tying run got to the on deck circle or not. Here are the qualifications for a save according to the MLB rulebook.

1)He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his team;
2)He is not the winning pitcher;
3)He is credited with at least ⅓ of an inning pitched; and
4)He satisfies one of the following conditions:
a)He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning
b)He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat or on deck
c)He pitches for at least three innings
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
If the closer is health & not overly fatigued, he'll come in during the 7th inning or after (or whatever inning you've selected in the management settings) if its a close situation:

1. He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning (he'll pitch the 9th inning in this case)

2. He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat or on deck (he count enter as earlier as the 7th inning [depending on mgmt settings] in this case)

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |