Help

Forum >> Help >> LH infielders   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, that cross is new as it wasn't there last night when I checked my lineup, but I see it as well now on Napoli at catcher. Unless they made it so errors start happening at catcher I'm keeping him with his 50% CS rate there.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
The cross is new. I guess it's technically called a dagger character.

Steve
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The problem for LH catchers is more controversial and probably harder to model. Benny Distefano was the last LH who played catcher in MLB, back in 1989. He described the problems for a LH this way;
"On bunts down the third base line, I found it hard to pick up the ball and throw in the first base direction when my body was moving in a different direction," he said.

"And throws from the outfield always were back-handed catches, and my left shoulder was open, so I couldn't brace my weight for a bang-bang play as the plate. I was exposed to be hit."

The last one seems to be the greater problem as it would likely increase the chance of a career ending injury.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, also they claim that a LH throwing catcher is partially blocked by a RH batter when throwing to 2nd base on a steal attempt.

Steve
MacStewart

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Frustrated. I inherited a team with LH C and infield players. Now without much real notice I'm penalized? I can understand changes at the end of the season with a chance to react, but this could SERIOUSLY impact my roster and team play for the second half. How large is this penalty?
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I believe the new symbol is just illustrating a penalty that already existed MacStewart.
MacStewart

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Ah!! That's not so bad then, but it sure is a powerful psychological deterrent. Thanks!!
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
One of those "what you don't know can't hurt you" sorts of things :)
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
When the dagger appeared on lefties last week, some wondered whether or not an additional penalty had been levied. While I can't give any details about infielders, I can with LH catchers.

Stats for this season with my LH catcher:
Pre-dagger--55 games, 8 stolen bases, 8 caught which equals 50% cs and 0.29 steal attempts per game.
Post dagger--7 games, 7 stolen bases, 4 caught which equals 36% cs and 1.57 steal attempts per game.

I understand that's an extremely small sample size, but considering the crazy difference I suspect there has been a sizeable penalty thrown at lefties.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Just as likely due to the team you were playing against. My lefty catcher (17 arm)is still doing better than my righty catcher (16 arm) in catching base runners. Stats since dagger appeared:

Reyna (r): 3 OSB, 1 OCS
Napoli (l): 1 OSB, 1 OCS

Small sample size does lovely things depending on who you play against and how lucky or unlucky you are. No Mike, we won't be able to tell really til the end of the season whether an actual hit to lefty catchers' arms happened.

Previous Page | Show All |