Help

Forum >> Help >> Run Differential   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have recently lower the hook and pitch count on several pitchers, and haven't had any blowouts since then. I have only had a small sample size since then though, so I was still concerned. Thanks!

I was considering the manager patience, but I decided I would rather my best pitchers lose me a game than go to my thin bullpen too early and often. Maybe after the pitchers at double and triple A are ready and the under 25 pitchers currently in the majors are closer to their potential...
Crunchtime

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've been playing around with the notion that the default hooks for pitchers was too high. I'm seeing (seemingly) a lot of meltdowns in the 6th and 7th when the pitcher gets tired. Changing the hook is a good idea. I'm just wary of getting into situations where my primo starters ate getting yanked in the 2nd because they gave up 4 runs with plenty left in the tank.

Reducing the pitch count on the other hand will let them work out of situations early in the game with a decent hook. However they may get pulled earlier than you would like and put more strain on the bullpen. If you have a few good arms in the pen though, should be fine.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Who is pitching in these blowouts? Maybe not your best arms?

Steve
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
True, I think only once was one of the blowouts actually when my "ace" was pitching. Avila does have a losing record though which is not encouraging for a No. 1 starter. The problem is a lack of current options. I have quite a few prospects with good or very good potential, but they are no where near ready. With the exception of my current No. 5 starter all the 22-24 yo pitchers I'm rotating through the majors actually suggest double or triple A as their recommended level. This is sort of an ad hoc situation til a few of them are actually really ready for the majors.

Edit: Spoke too soon, collective team fail that included my ace:

http://brokenbat.org/game/1155230

Updated Sunday, January 26 2014 @ 2:41:31 pm PST
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This is ridiculous... teams are coming into series against me losing their last 5 or 6 series and then winning against my guys. Meanwhile my guys can pick up a win against the top team in the league the game following a 19 game winning streak was broken. Absolutely zero consistency by my team, sometimes they play well, other times it feels like they all fail.

Now at -74 on the season and 4 games under .500. This series has me at 5th in the west, in line for relegation. If I were in the East I would be in 3rd...

Updated Wednesday, February 5 2014 @ 3:43:17 pm PST
Crunchtime

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Not quite sure what the problem is here. If a team is losing 5 of their last 6 it does not carry over to your games. There is no momentum, they don't get depressed. Your team can't score and give up an average amount of runs. The team you played in the blowout can score and doesn't give up very many runs. You should get beat, on average.

Being 4 games under .500 seems pretty consistent to me. You lose slightly more than you win.

Your Ace is on pace for an average year for him. The difference in the Win column for your Ace is that the teams in 2012 and 2014 score more than they gave up. Your Ace isn't sucking any more than normal. He'll have good games and bad. None of this is affected by win or loss streaks. Your relief core, as you mentioned, is not so good.

Score more runs - get a better bullpen - be more consistent at winning - win more games.
Randy Bobandy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
pretty much just be better
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, consistently inconsistent. My last 12 games were a 6 game winning streak that moved me from 5th to 2nd place followed by a 6 game losing streak that moved me from 2nd to 5th place. The bullpen isn't bad, it is young, and not training as fast as needed. What annoys me the most are the losses to teams with owners that are running their franchises into the ground.
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
This week I lost three out of four to the worst team in the league, then I turned around and took three out of four from the best team in the league. That's just baseball. If you get too caught up in the short-run trends, the noise and variation inherent in the game can cause you to make some rash decisions.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thus my problem, a large portion of my roster has a relatively small sample size because they are fairly young and inexperienced. The trick here is trying to use my roster I plan to build into the future with while avoiding relegation. Not sure it can be done.

Previous Page | Show All |