Help

Forum >> Help >> Terrible Pitching   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Jynxed

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well I've won 7 out of ten with some tweaks made based on your suggestions including 3 out of 4 against the league leaders today so I think it's helped at least some! Pitching will take time but at least the team is improving.

Thanks Again
Jynxed

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
We got off to a great start this season but then have completely fallen apart and today's 4 game set saw us give up a staggering 51 runs....ugh.

I really am grasping at straws right now trying to pull in pitchers off the scrap heap. Anyone have any other advice they might offer? I have my defense setup much better than the first time I posted and doesn't really seem to be hurting like before.
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
It isn't always the pitcher's fault that the opposition scores runs. If the fielders aren't making the plays to get outs it will negatively impact pitcher's results and stats.

Review your defensive lineup against the section of the rule book covering Game Strategy: Setting Up Your Defense

Infield
  • C is fine
  • 1B both are RH
  • 2B more arm than range so more suited to 3B
  • 3B both more range than arm so more suited to 2B
  • SS is a poor fielder and this is a key fielding position

Outfield
  • DH Roman has good fielding skills that aren't being used. DH should be reserved for great batters with no fielding attributes, you can't afford too many players like this.
  • CF should have your outfielder with best fielding skills
  • LF Lawrence better than Orr as has more range
  • RF you have a couple of options with good arm
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
It isn't always the pitcher's fault that the opposition scores runs. If the fielders aren't making the plays to get outs it will negatively impact pitcher's results and stats.

Review your defensive lineup against the section of the rule book covering Game Strategy: Setting Up Your Defense

Some suggestions

Infield
  • C is fine
  • 1B both are RH
  • 2B more arm than range so more suited to 3B
  • 3B both more range than arm so more suited to 2B
  • SS is a poor fielder and this is a key fielding position

Outfield
  • DH Roman has good fielding skills that aren't being used. DH should be reserved for great batters with no fielding attributes, you can't afford too many players like this.
  • CF should have your outfielder with best fielding skills
  • LF Lawrence better than Orr as has more range
  • RF you have a couple of options with good arm

Pitching
Finally you are expecting a lot with a lot of very young players on your pitching roster.

Henry for example does not yet have the stamina to start. Still you have better youngsters in the minors (Zepeda and Poole).

I compare pitchers by adding up their pitching attributes (ignoring fielding attributes)

Look to strengthen with a couple of free agents. There are currently handful available for less than $1m if money is a concern. I didn't look at waivers or more expensive players.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, the effect of defense is roughly 10-15% compared to pitching. However, if you have atrocious defense, it can account for a lot more on the downside.

Example, an error not only gives the offense an extra out in the inning, but it also means that that pitcher will have thrown more pitches and is therefore more tired for the rest of his outing.

Additionally, defenses that makes a lot of errors/fail to make routine plays, could result in pitching corps that are more fatigued.

Steve
Jynxed

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well I checked my errors and it wasn't an issue in the last matches. I will say that's a valid point though, I moved Silva out of SS last season...not really sure when I moved him back but Ibarra should be there and not at 3rd.

For 1b does it really matter if they are both RH? Just curious since I hadn't really looked at LH vs RH from a defensive perceptive.

On the same note I'm not sure what I was thinking with Henry as a sp so that will be changed. I actually just moved Zepeda back to the minors after he got shelled and is still listed as AAA when you look at roster suggestions. Is there any recommendations on young pitchers? Should they be in the bullpen for awhile before becoming starters?

Jynxed

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Also I guess my manager really didn't want to take the reliever out lol

http://brokenbat.org/game/1295297
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Good roles in the majors for young pitchers coming up from the minors:
  • LHS and RHS with a low pitch count and hook so they can't do much damage
  • LR when they generally come into games when they are blown, this helps build experience and stamina
  • as your confidence grows you can increase the pitch count and hook, then move to other positions such as MR to develop further
  • I try to make best use of spring training, September rosters (unofficial on brokenbat but in keeping with the MLB) and any meaningless cup games
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't know if the LH / RH fielding makes a big difference in brokenbat but figure that all the small 1% choices add up to make a difference
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My observation is that LHS and RHS pitch higher leverage innings than MR, so I like to put new pitchers into middle relief. However, that they are less developed may also be the reason the manager/game engine gives them mostly short mopup work.

Previous Page | Show All |