Help

Forum >> Help >> spot starter vs long reliever   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
lephio

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
in terms of playing time, what are the differences of these two roles?
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Depends on the weaknesses of your rotation. If you have *beep*ty starters and a manager who reaches for the hook in the first inning, your long reliever gets a lot of playing time. If you have a patient manager, high workload limits and good but overworked starters who are often injured, it'll probably be the spot starter who plays more.

As far as I know, though, most MLB teams tend to use their long reliever for spot starts and will rather call up another reliever from the minors, so I sometimes miss the opportunity to combine both roles here, or at least to occasionally give the spot starter some shorter relief appearances. In my opinion, what is kind of an entry job to the majors in real life really offers too little opportunities to play here to be good for the development of a young player.
Crunchtime

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I believe in terms of Broken Bat, LR gets more time. SS subs in for injured starters and in situations where the current starter is too tired to pitch. They also double as a LR but it appears to me they only get called on if the current LRs are tired/injured. Since LRs have more consistent work it seems they get the edge on playing time. Steve may have more on that.

Updated Tuesday, December 31 2013 @ 3:37:03 pm PST
lephio

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Nice answers. Thank you. In terms of fatigue, when a pitcher is not available? I mean. My starter is set to "+" fatigue. At what "level" of fatigue will sit on the bench instead of starting?

Also.. Tonight happening something I don't understand. My starter pitched 4 1/3. Took 3 ER and the manager removed him (as I put 5 in "hook" settings)

After that he put on the mound my medium reliever for 1 1/3 (4 er) and AFTER he put my long reliever for 3 1/3, ending the game.

Who can explain what happened!?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
You can control when a Spot Starter and Longer Relievers enter and exit a game with management options, so they are pretty interchangeable from a relief perspective. If there is an injured Starting Pitcher, then the Spot Starter will get the start before the Long Reliever.

Steve
lephio

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
sorry for this easy answer but.. why should i take my players in the minors?

Updated Friday, January 3 2014 @ 5:58:50 am PST
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
The advantage of the minor leagues (for young players) is that they receive training that they need to achieve their maximum potential.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |