Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Official Draft Change Discussion   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Bridger

Muncie Flyers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I think distributing the pool across the entire player base is more balanced. This equalizes the effect of the bots across the player base instead of punishing the players in better leagues.

As a DVI player currently, it would be great for me to have individual league pools...but I don't plan on being here forever.

@Steve: Change looks great to me! You can still get hit by an unlucky pool, but at least you won't miss the strong prospects in your pool if they are there. This also creates dynamic choices when there are multiple good prospects in the pool as we will have enough information to project eventual builds.

I was nervous about changes to the draft, but this keeps the spirit of the traditional Broken Bat draft. Love it!!!

Updated Friday, April 5 2019 @ 2:55:54 pm PDT

Updated Friday, April 5 2019 @ 2:56:04 pm PDT
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This looks very awesome.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
So this is first come first serve starting at 2:00 AM PT? The first guys to log in get all the good players?
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This is the breakdown of all my draft picks by potential since the '27 season. I usually pick several hours after 2:00 AM PST Fridays, and sometimes up to a few days after. Except for my first 8 picks of '27, I pick the best available players based on scouting report comments.

POT... # of picks
15... 1
14... 5
13... 32
12... 20
11... 29
10... 18
9.... 5

I think I have done average in my picks. I do not think, as a whole, I have done worse than people who pick at 2:00 AM.

I appreciate that Steve is giving us more options and information in future drafts. I don't see a problem in keeping the the 10 player draft page based on which draft pool is selected.

I think a better way to build a Major League roster is a bigger Minor League roster. This way, I could keep more border line players that I may release right away based on a less than stellar build. I could keep them in the minors to see how they grow and perform. To me a draft based on probability is the best way to go based on the size of this league.
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
@ Steve - incredible work, there's always going to be cynics but I don't see any way of criticising what you've done there, it's exactly what BB is all about, I wonder about hiding the potential again as it used to be so that there is an element of guesswork but I can see the argument to leave it as it ls.

The real world examples I'd provide would be Mark Buerhle and Kevin Pillar, both drafted in the 30th something round and have had solid major league careers. If we consider they're equivalent to a pot 13 then they'll get snapped up a lot sooner. Not necessarily a bad thing, but as Freddy would point out, I do enjoy dumpster diving!
peacockpenguin

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I really don't think drafting earlier in the day has that much of an effect as people think. At least not enough to warrant a change.

Since 2026
1-16 Pot
4-15 Pot
12-14 Pot
15-13 Pot
29-12 Pot

This comes out to 61 players I kept or would consider keeping over 15 years of drafting. Also considering I was basically inactive for two seasons in the middle of that this comes out to over an average of 4 players a year that are kept. I usually draft around noon pacific time.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Its been proven without a doubt. Drafting early makes a difference.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Indeed!

If you play long enough you will discover your first round picks are usually better than your 7th round picks! (Not for me this season, but usually).
jpnwrt

Logan Pioneers
V.6

Broken Bat Baseball
I am still a freshman in BB, but I think what Rock777 and Seca are saying will become even more important in the new draft system, because it'll be easier to pick players with desired sets of crucial attributes.
But it'll be a real challenge to find the solution fair to everyone.
If there are subpools, managers in the bot leagues like myself will have the advantage.
If there's one pool for everyone, managers who most of the time can login at 2 am will have the advantage.
If there's one pool and no fixed time but a window when the draft is available, ppl who can't keep logging in every 15 minutes will be at a disadvantage.
How about a mix? For instance: 1/2 of the pool, by random, goes into the generally available pool at 2 am, while the other half of the draft becomes gradually available in league limited subpools during the next 24 hours. The specific numbers are of course just to present the model I'm talking about.
Unfortunately even if the model would be good for us, managers, the question remains if this wouldn't introduce too many programming problems for Steve (nice work with the project of the new draft screens!)

E: Of course I'm not claiming this would be a perfect solution! I just think it would reduce a little bit the disadvantage of logging in late.

Updated Friday, May 10 2019 @ 5:39:16 am PDT

E: Just 1 more question. If I go back long enough reading this thread, will I find anything about advantages and disadvantages of a dynamic draft (the way it is now), versus a static one? By "static", I mean the draft not on the first-come-first-serve basis, but based on the draft order lists.
I don't want to spam the thread with something that had already been discussed, so I've scrolled back through the thread a few months, but it seems to me it might be significantly longer than that :)

Updated Friday, May 10 2019 @ 7:49:03 am PDT
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Want a static? ... rub a balloon on that hat!!

(and other fun with red rider bb guns)

Previous Page | Show All | Next Page