FAQ

Forum >> FAQ >> Minor League players training   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh, I thought I remember seeing that you should typically have no focus. If I did a training focus then probably hitting and movement would be what I went with though.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
That's not how that works @PrivateSnowflake. If you go with "No Focus" it spreads the bonus out among all skills. I have run "No Focus" for the past 7 seasons, I remember several other forum regulars saying the same.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@newt/@all

That seems to imply that, by selecting a training specialization, you are reducing the training effect on the attributes that you DIDNT select. Is that what you're saying?
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Not arguing, wanting to find out: Since SI is "capped" by potential, I would assume training would only help players that would not reach the topping-off point.

We do know training provides a "slight" bonus. Has "slight" ever been defined? Reason I'm asking is I would rather have a pitcher (Example):
12 Vel
12 Cos
16 Mov
14 Ctrl
10 Sta

Rather than:
12(.2)
12(.2)
15(.2)
14(.2)
10(.2)

Does that make any sense? Wouldn't you want one "bumped" stat over not finishing the others? And yes, I'm assuming the game engine only recognizes whole numbers while running simulations.

Any help would be great.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The way it works iirc is ~95% (just picking a large percentage since the exact one was never verified) of training is distributed over all the skills equally. The last 5% or so, can either be put into specific skills as the focus, or spread out equally among all the skills like the rest of the training.

Edit: So reading the last couple of lines you're doing that premised on the game only recognizing the whole numbers. I don't think that is a safe assumption personally, but there is no way to test it. The thing to me is whether you would get enough extra pops in the skills you selected to make up for the less training pops you could get in all the other training areas. For example say a player receiving the bonus in control tops out at X. 95 movement. If you had stuck with "no focus" he may have popped that skill. There is no way of measuring opportunity cost in this game (although re-doing 2035 is the closest thing we've had to it) so regardless either one of us could be correct in any given situation.

@wickersty, yes. Sorry, I missed your question earlier.

Update: So I can't even remember which section of the forums said post was in, much less the title of the thread. I really should have bookmarked that thread, but I wasn't thinking about it at the time.

Updated Wednesday, February 28 2018 @ 6:27:55 am PST
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
That's how I remember it as well, Newtman. Regarding Private's example of getting a bump in movement, if 16 was the max potential, you would be more likely to get to the 16 with that training emphasis. However, I don't think you can bump up the original max even if you make that the emphasis in perpetuity. Also, while you would be more likely to hit the max in that skill, you might not reach your max in the other skills because they have been deprived training in them.

About the game simulation only recognizing whole numbers, I would bet that isn't the case. Just like experience with positions, I'm pretty sure there aren't just 3 levels, upper case, lower case and none. There are sub-levels for them, but the rough designations are given to keep things vague. My guess is that applies to all ratings and skills.

Edit--One last thing...an example of what I do to try to balance things. My manager's teaching skills are 12 hitting, 12 defense and 8 pitching. In an attempt to deal with that, I put the major emphasis on pitching and minor emphasis on the hitting/defense side. Every week I just move them both down one (and then back up to the top when getting to the last one). Doing this gives all pitching skills an equal bit more attention in the hope of making up for the inadequate manager. (Off topic, but I hate the new managers. Sorry. I say that with every decent opportunity.)

Updated Wednesday, February 28 2018 @ 6:28:36 am PST
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you for the response, guys. Note: I've always assumed full numbers only bc I figure it would be easier while coding the game engine. Including decimal points would make sense since we know not all stats are created equal.

You may have converted me.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
From the News feed by Steve with my emphasis added...

December 19th, 2014 - Training Report Improvements
We’ve added several new categories to the training report. Now the report will include changes in SI (skill index) and additions/improvements to the player’s position repertoire. Please note, because of fractions and rounding, SI can change without an actual visual improvement/decline in other skills.

Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball

(Off topic, but I hate the new managers. Sorry. I say that with every decent opportunity.)

Good job sticking with it until you got one.

After a half-hour or 2 of flipping through Robby Perry types ... I give up and go back to Joe Perry.
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
seems like minor leaguers have stopped playing beyond the 140 games. Is that true that they aren't going to get any more experience in the minors this season?

Previous Page | Show All |