Off-Topic Forum

Forum >> Off Topic >> Need your creativity!   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Tabula Rasa

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hello Guys,

The reason I'm writing this post is because I'm looking for some of your creative input. I'm currently busy organizing a new amateur baseball club in the town of Harlingen (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlingen,_Netherlands) in my home region (Friesland, the Netherlands: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friesland).Baseball in our country is (despite our still recent world cup succes) not a very big sport. Currently there isn't a baseball club in the region.

We just had our first practice and more than thirty people showed up! Right now where actively thinking about a name ouf our new club and I've sent some promotional ads to the local newspaper for the readers to think of an original name.

Suddenly I thougt: Why not also try to get some good names from the Bucsdugout community, because you guys where so welcoming to me in the last few months that I joined! You guys played, watched or followed baseball for your whole life so you might have a great idea for a cool, original name for a club (unfortunatly I cannot name the club Pirates, because there is already a club by that name in the Netherlands). I'm hoping to get a name that's easy to market.

If you need some background on Harlingen or Friesland I added the wikipedia links for information.

I'm looking forward to reading your ideas!

Greetings,

MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I suppose the obvious suggestion doesn't have a baseball theme--The Harlingen Freeze, although that sounds more like a hockey team. I'm trying to come up with something with a heart theme, too, but nothing has hit me yet. I'm guessing your flag has the hearts because your province looks like one? Bizarre and fascinating.

By they way, I can't believe you found your hometown in Texas! And congrats on your promotion to V. Good luck in your quests.
Tabula Rasa

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the reply! Yeah it's great that there is also a Harlingen in Texas - The founders must have come from my region. The red icons in the Frisian flag aren't hearts but a lily leaves and they represent the old seven districts of the province.

MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Fascinating. At any rate, the angle and shape of them look exactly like your province on the map. That can't be a coincidence.

Are those associated to lily pads? If so, maybe the Frisian Frogs or Froggers? Or for a different lily association there's The Beetles.

For a baseball theme that only historical fans would know there is The Frisian Fricks. Or you could turn it around if you're looking for humor and be The Frick Frisians or Frickin' Frisians. Look up Ford Frick. He had a long and storied career in many baseball roles, including Commissioner, and is in the Hall of Fame.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Something else just rang a bell in my memory--Bert Blyleven. He was born in the Netherlands. There aren't many Hall of Famers from outside the West. To have a Dutch-born representative is pretty unique. You might want to check out his career and see if something strikes a fancy for you.

Updated Sunday, August 5 2018 @ 10:19:07 pm PDT
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Many ball clubs use an animal as a mascot.

Yours appears to be a holstein. Unfortunately that is a cow and could be seen as bad. You tell me...

Maybe you can find a bird that is native or famous in the area? Blue Jay, Oriole, Cardinal are all used in the United States. Look at Japan, you've got Hawks and the unfortunate fish-named Hiroshima Carp which is too damn close to crap for me though admittedly that describes a lot of my favorite team's recent play.

Recently, in the United States soccer league anyway, names like Galaxy, Revolution are being used that do not follow naming trends of history.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 The Blue Jays are actually Canada. </CompletelyMissingThePoint>
BigBaseballBoy11

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hmm... What about fat cows? jk jk. Maybe if you do a bird, from that Netherlands area, like the Hawfinch?
tokuchi

Smyrna Sounds
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
Hey good luck with your project. I wish there were this type of initiatives here as well.

The minor league teams are a nice source of original mascots. Two of them that seem fitting are the Harlingen Tides and the Harlingen Hooks.

Updated Thursday, August 23 2018 @ 4:02:17 am PDT

Previous Page | Show All |