Off-Topic Forum

Forum >> Off Topic >> So you want to be an Olympian...   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow! If you want an incredible thrill, go to Whistler in Canada and do the skeleton. You,too, can go down the fastest ice in the world face first without any brakes. I did it this week and can tell you it is sooooooo worth it. They give you a short orientation, which is basically "don't think, don't move, hold on." I topped out just under 99 km per hour and one guy hit an exact 100.0. The best part? After you've done it, you get to go again!

It's pretty crazy. You really don't see much because you're just inches off the ice (actually, my chin grazed the track a few times--you have a chinstrap to protect you from that) and freaking flying down that chute. While you don't see much, you hear and feel the forces incredibly. By the last turn, you're getting hit with about 2.5 G's. As they remind you, this isn't a ride, it's a sport. It's all on you! Everyone gets a different experience based on what you do or don't do.

They also do a bobsleigh experience, which is surprisingly different. For it they have a professional pilot taking you and two others down the entire track. (The Skeleton starts near the midpoint.) You top out over 130 km per hour and around 4 G's for it. They say you can actually see quite a bit.

It appears you can do similar experiences in Lake Placid, but it doesn't look like they go nearly as fast. I saw online that Salt Lake does the bobsled, but it looks like they only do skeleton for groups.

Anyway, I can highly, highly recommend doing this in Whistler. It's amazing. Also, everyone there does everything possible to make sure you have the time of your life. I don't think I'll ever forget it. It's cool going down an Olympic track. They even have a board showing your name and times. All I can say is go, man!

Previous Page | Show All |