Baseball Forum

Forum >> Baseball >> Coaching in MLB   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
jpnwrt

Logan Pioneers
V.6

Broken Bat Baseball
I've been wondering how do teams handle coaching, especially on the major league level. Nowadays. Because I presume in the beginning of the sport the manager handled both the match tactics, and the training. I've even found on the wiki page, that sometimes the manager was both the manager, and the GM. Or even the owner, too.
Wikipedia says, that manager has assistants. Do I understand correctly, that one of them would be responsible for pitchers' training, for example? Because it seems to me, even the best manager, if he spent his carreer as, say, catcher, won't be able to help his pitchers with pitching technique as match as a former pitcher would.
Or am I completely wrong? I'm more familiar with the reality of modern soccer, than baseball. Could it be, that match-time on the field tactics aside, regarding technique improvement pitchers are basically on their own?

Updated Friday, June 7 2019 @ 5:49:45 am PDT
jpnwrt

Logan Pioneers
V.6

Broken Bat Baseball
Found the answer. Looks like I misunderstood "assistant managers" on the wiki page. Not the first time, with wiki. More traditional sources of information usually have less, but rarely ambiguous.

Previous Page | Show All |