Bug Reports

Forum >> Bug Reports >> Poor Substitution by the AI   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
hurstdm

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Here's the game in question, in the 8th inning.

Top 8th
Cartwright comes in to pinch run for Rosas.

This is a pinch runner coming in for my slow catcher on first base. The catcher is marked to pinch hit for in the Management tab. All good.

But in the bottom of the 8th, Cartwright, who has literally zero catching experience, is left in to play catcher:

Bottom 8th
Escalera steals second base. The catcher Cartwright overthrows second base and Escalera advances to third base.
Acuna hits a single to left field. Escalera comes in to score.
Acuna steals second base.

Moo Cows lose: 3-2.

In the management tab, I don't have Cartwright as "Replace for Defense". He's a pretty good defender at multiple positions! But I really never expected him to be used so far outside of his position in a close game. When the AI pinch runs for a guy, I'd intuitively expect it to check to replace him in the next half inning with any guy that makes sense. The backup catcher was Bianchi and I think he was available on the bench.

Should any pinch hitter or pinch runner, after they're used in the next half inning, get an extra subroutine to check if there's someone better available to play that position, even if they're not marked for a defensive substitution?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The substitution logic is somewhat lacking overall. Especially in terms of defense. I believe this is a known issue. Folks have been complaining about it for
a very long time. Steve knows its an issue. Would be nice to get a fix, but not sure its coming anytime soon.
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Replace for defense

Anyone ever seen that happen to a pinch runner??

Not working
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I tried a fun mini experiment of letting the AI decide much of my lineup for a number of games last season. I think I had SS & CF set, and let it do the rest. It repeatedly put a 35 year old first baseman with 5 arm in right field. (That was AI's favorite move IIRC). It also liked to put a gold glove level infielder at DH. And another gold glove level defender at 1B. And my then regular left fielder at 2B.

Anyway, the AI decisions were very odd, to say the least.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
That's the way it should work. Leaving your lineup card blank should be suboptimal. Bot management should be suboptimal.

@ Hurst,

If Cartwright is being used as a PR you should probably tick his replace-for-defence box.

It's not likely to make a difference tho. Fielding skill seems to be every bit if not more important than position knowledge in the algorithm. Cartwright's is too high for it to trip.

Updated Sunday, October 11 2020 @ 9:17:53 am PDT
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Wasn't demanding it be changed. Just thought 1 or 2 people might be interested in what the AI does when given such an opportunity.

Previous Page | Show All |