Bug Reports

Forum >> Bug Reports >> AI Overworking The Closer (and Setup)?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Its hard to tell without looking at all your pitch management settings. But if you had two guys doing the same thing on the same days, it sounds like the AI considered the more rested guys to be ineligible. Do you have RDs set on them? What is your Fatigue limit setting on those two guys?
hurstdm

Murfreesboro Moo Cows
VI.5

Broken Bat Baseball
We don't tend to moonkey around with these settings very much once they're set for the season. Middle relievers are at -3 to 3 and -4 to 4, left to right. The other setup guy is at -4 to 4.

Both middle relievers are set at a Fatigue Limit of --. The other setup pitcher was at x. To my knowledge so far playing Broken Bat, the Fatigue Limit setting seems to do nothing at all. The AI doesn't seem to want to select tired pitchers - until now.

Regardless, all of the other pitchers had a break of three straight game days before all this happened. They shouldn't have been fatigued (or ineligible) at all.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Seems like 1 of the follow to me:

1) Closer is set to come in the 8th and has a Fatigue Setting of + or ++

2) All other pitchers had earliest inning set at 9 (unlikely)

3) Its a bug.
hurstdm

Murfreesboro Moo Cows
VI.5

Broken Bat Baseball
2 is wrong. 1 is maybe right - the closer and the setup guy both have the +. That might be it? Or ... it's a bug. I'll switch them both to " " and see what happens next.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That is probably the issue. With a + setting, they will pitch with "some level of moderate fatigue". And the closer will always override all other pitchers if its a save situation and he is eligible to come in.

Not sure with the set, but I don't know how it chooses between SET1 and SET2. I think it treats the fatigue setting as a pass/fail gate. So if they have the +, they are considered eligible to be chosen. Then I think handedness may be a factor, then maybe just random. Or maybe the AI takes #1 first if he is eligible.

Updated Thursday, July 30 2020 @ 4:41:51 pm PDT
MVP2005GM

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The rules manual seems to give some info on the order relief pitchers are chosen to be put in....sorry long copy/paste so people can check it out in the guide if they want to.

Relief Pitching
This is a description of how the relief pitching substitution mechanism works in the current game engine. Hopefully it will give you some insight into how and why a pitching change is made.

Relief pitcher check is run before each batter:

If Save Situation (except for no-hitter)
If Closer Assigned and Available (not injured) and Not Fatigued1 and Not Too Earlier2
Replace current pitcher with closer

If Current Pitcher's Pitch Count or Hook Settings exceeded
If Close Game (trailing by no more than 4 runs [or Smallest RD] or leading by no more than 5 runs [or Largest RD])
Check bullpen in the following order: LHP1/LHP2 versus LHB, RHP1/RPH2 versus RHB, Setupman1/2
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, its just not clear to me what "Setupman1/2" means.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball

Both middle relievers are set at a Fatigue Limit of --. The other setup pitcher was at x. To my knowledge so far playing Broken Bat, the Fatigue Limit setting seems to do nothing at all. The AI doesn't seem to want to select tired pitchers - until now.

I think ++ is needed to have a tired pitcher in
-- will never use him instead
hurstdm

Murfreesboro Moo Cows
VI.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Part of the problem might be that I've rarely or never had relief pitchers with Stamina over 7 or 8. I mark them with - or -- and I've never seen the AI use tired relievers. 2046 might be the first year I've put pitchers in the setup and closer role with any Stamina at all. I marked them with the + and got some unusual results I hadn't seen before. I bet there are owners who regularly mark their relievers ++ and see tired pitching all the time. It's new to me!

It reminds me of another recent post about owners using starting pitching with a Stamina of 10 or 11 and working them 200 or 250 innings a year. Does the Stamina really even matter?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
There have been a couple threads on that. I think the answer is "Yes it matters", but maybe not "that much". I always try to have guys with at least 10 stamina pitching, and I only pitch those guys for a 75 PC, but other managers string those guys out for a long time and seem to have success. That is why there was a suggestion earlier in the year (maybe last season) for Steve to reevaluate how effectively pitcher fatigue was working.

Previous Page | Show All |