Bug Reports

Forum >> Bug Reports >> Inexplicable PH substitution   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The ph algorithm is described in the rules;

If 7th inning and beyond
Determine the criticality of the hitting situation based on inning, outs & score
If current hitter's offensive value exceeds the minimum value determined by the criticality of the hitting situation
Keep current hitter
Pinch Hitter: Check bench players; evaluating offensive value only
Determine best offensive player from the bench
If bench player value is greater than current hitter + some margin
Replace current hitter

That seems sensible enough and it normally works this way. For example this game
Top 8th
With two on and two out, down by one run and a LHP
Yip comes in to pinch hit for McFadden.
Yip hits a ground ball single to short stop.

This makes perfect sense since Yip is .297 lifetime vs LHP and this season is .327

But fast forward two games to the 8th inning of a tied game with the winning run on 2nd and two outs the inexplicable PH substitution occurs;
Ishida comes in to pitch.
Manning comes in to pinch hit for McFadden.
Manning grounds to second base

Manning
? .242 lifetime vs LHP and this season an ugly .077 vs LHP

Yip is not injured and is clearly the better offensive player so why is he not chosen to PH in this game?

The choice of Manning over Yip makes absolutely no sense and does not follow the script. And this may have cost me the chance to take the lead.

Updated Saturday, December 14 2019 @ 4:48:11 pm PST
hurstdm

Murfreesboro Moo Cows
VI.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Off-topic, I love that you have a guy named "Yip".
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not saying I agree with the AI's pinch hitter selection, but I have the answer for you. In the first game, Manning was injured. If that wasn't the case, I bet he would have gotten the at bat instead of Yip. And there you have another maddening example of "there's absolutely nothing you can do about it." The game is long overdue for a substitution overhaul.
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
No, not really.

Yip has been the ph in the 7th or later innings when Manning has not been injured and has not been used in the game. See here and here for example.

The AI seems to consider Manning (9/17/9) to be a better defensive player than Yip (8/18/10) since he gets to ph prior to the 7th like this game in the 6th.

However, the consideration for 7th inning or later is offense only. And Yip (18/9/10/9/15) is a better hitter than Manning (13/9/18/13/14) and has better career numbers as well.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The game manual is not well written in this area and may be part of the confusion. The examples with Yip coming in are at CF. The manual makes it sound like the AI doesn't consider defense when it's in the 7th or later, but I don't think that's the case. I bet Yip's 18 range combined with his offense gets him chosen. In LF, I bet it lessens the value of range and chooses Manning.
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, if it considers defense is it fielding or range? I know we like to prioritize range for OF, but does the AI?

Why would the AI decide that Manning is a better offensive choice than Yip? Yip is the better hitter, although he doesn't walk as often.

It seems like it often comes down to coin toss.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You can be sure it's not random. If you scrutinize all in-game decisions, over time you can figure out what the heck the game is doing. There isn't much to be done about it, though, other than a few manipulations. For example, if you don't like who does the pinch hitting, you can keep the setting and live with it or remove the pinch hitting option and keep the starter in there. It's completely annoying, but everyone is in the same boat.

I don't think the AI looks at stats or production. I believe it is based on displayed skills only, though that is only my best guess.
jezzat

Rockford Rhinos
V.9

Broken Bat Baseball

I believe it is based on displayed skills only, though that is only my best guess.

My own guess (and bear in mind I've been playing the game for less than a year and am therefore far from an expert) is that it's based on a player's actual skills as they are now.

I've noticed my older players pinch hit less as the season goes on. I suspect (although cannot of course prove) that there skills have dropped although I will not see that until the end of the season.

I agree I don't think stats such as average or OPS are relevant to the decision.

Previous Page | Show All |