Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Are Best Players Dominant Enough???   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
curtisp5286

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I originally posted this idea in another thread but decided to move it to its own space.

I think that one of the big differences between Broken Bat and MLB is the dominance of the best players over the mediocre ones. I don't feel like the best players in any given Broken Bat league are dominant enough. This goes for both hitters and pitchers.

I think this is why we rarely see guys hit .350, strike out 200+, have an OPS over 1.000, produce an ERA under 2, ect, ect.

I am thinking maybe there could be a bonus of sorts applied to skill ratings when they approach 20. The difference between 18 and 19 should have a bigger impact on performance than the difference between 13 and 14 because the player is literally approaching perfection at that one skill.

This is just my way of thinking. What does everyone else think?

Curtis P
Eastern

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have a pitcher that had an 1.82 ERA last season.
Here is the pitcher:http://brokenbat.org/player/46720
curtisp5286

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, your guy had a great year last year. But that was the first time that a player posted a sub-2.00 ERA in your league. In my league, it has never been done.

I guess if you look at the MLB AL, it is something that is only accomplished roughly once every ten years. So I guess we are not totally out of line because it doesn't happen as often with the DH in the lineup.

My biggest issues are with the strikeout numbers and the batting averages. They are both too low. In the highest leagues of Broken Bat the batting averages are severely suppressed. In the Legends League there are usually just a couple guys over .300 and a couple seasons ago no one hit over .285!
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with you that batting averages are on the low side in the Legends league and higer leagues. Seems like there is a lot of top pitching in the upper leagues and the hitters aren't quite as proficient. In lower leagues its kind of the reverse.

This is something I'm aware of...but Broken Bat is also different from MLB in that we have 6 levels of big leagues, so there is a greter spread in skills from Legends to VI than among the 30+ MLB teams.

Thanks,

Steve
curtisp5286

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Do you think that is the issue? The pitching is simply better in the higher leagues but the hitting is roughly of the same quality?

What about that fact that strikeouts in general are low in Broken Bat. Do you see that as an issue that you want to address?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
The overall Broken Bat batting average for 2015 is .263….which I think is quite reasonable. My target batting average is .265, so that’s right in the ballpark. Overall batting average has been pretty steady over the seasons as there hasn’t been much change to that function in the game engine.

For the Legends league, the overall batting average is an anemic .237 this season, dropping from .255 only a few seasons ago. So to me, it looks like a real consolidation of the quality pitching towards the upper leagues.

I’m willing to adjust the algorithms (for example the lefty/righty platoon skew was brought more in line with real baseball), but this is a little more complicated. I can’t just adjust batting averages upwards without sending the lower leagues into a scoring frenzy.

Steve
AmUnRA

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
are all other stats are also in line?

especially SB and K/9?
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Even tho I like this game very much for its strong resemblance to real life MLB as far as tactics and stats, I strongly believe there's no point in discussing the real-life similitude of some of the outcomes.

For instance, SB amount and success rate in BrokenBat are much more relevant on managers' options than the game engine: some of my opponents ALWAYS try to steal with their lead-off batter. Regardless of his ability, and the opponents' catcher's arm.
This behaviour drives up SB, and CS, amounts a big deal. But there's no fault in the game engines as such.

K/P is another matter altogether: we know very well that MLB is in a KO frenzy over the past few seasons.
Never have been so many No-Hitter, and Perfect games.
Should BrokenBat try to mimic it?
Or rather the times when 50 Homeruns where common? (anybody remember Brady Anderson?)

I'd say no.
Baseball is a game of fine-tuning between pitching and hitting. It's difficult to keep it in balance.
To have a .265 BA, and 4.5 Runs scored per game is much more important than any other stat.
The game engine is working fine about that.
Let's keep it so.

PS: if anything, unbalances should be looked for in a test league. Computer managed, made SOLELY of average players.
Not certainly in a human managed league, where (pitching or hitting) abundance, or bonehead tactical settings can screw values big time
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Some good points. One of the biggest disparities is the lacking of bunting. There are some others as well and I keep tweaking. It changes from season to season and there are different issues at different levels of competition. What do you think the biggest statistical disparities are?

Also, I’ve tried to match statistics to a pre-steroid era MLB. I think we became accustom to some pretty inflated numbers and we are seeing that return to normal now.

Thanks,

Steve
AmUnRA

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
For me: way to many SB-attempts, to low avg, to low K for fireballer but to high for groundballers, lil bit to much HR - changed this for myself with extreme big home field.

btw what is the average human controlled broken bat arena dimensions? above or below normalized average (stats wise HR,3B,OF Ass.,FlyOut ...)

Previous Page | Show All |