Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Review velocity skill   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
AmUnRA

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
maybe this small advantage of hitting over pitching we all felt before was because of a small math error with velocity?

this would be funny :)

@topic
a guy with vel 17+ with although high movement,change of speed OR Control should amass Ks like 7+ per 9 IP
a guy with even 2 of the 3 velocities secondary skills should reach 9+ K/9IP
but we dont have any pitcher with such stats

Updated Saturday, November 2 2013 @ 3:18:55 pm PDT
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
How about Isiah Epps. 439K through 550-2/3 innings for his career. That's about 0.8K per inning pitched.

One of my former pitchers, who's still employed has 2077K for 2555-1/3IN, about 0.81 K per. That's not too shabby. Hugh Pennington had a velocity of 18 in his prime, and his other skills were not remarkable, 13 or less except for stamina. He gave up a lot HR so I think that's why his ERA is over 4.

I do agree that velocity pitchers tend to have higher ERA and BAA in this game, and that is unfair. Because of that I've focused getting pitchers higher movement and change of speed.
curtisp5286

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
In general there are fewer strikeouts in Broken Bat than in MLB. There are not really any pitchers who strikeout more than 1/IP or any hitters who strikeout more than once per game. This is a difference between Broken Bat and MLB.

But I think that the main difference between Broken Bat and MLB is the dominance of the best players over the mediocre ones. I don't feel like the best players in any given Broken Bat league are dominant enough. This goes for both hitters and pitchers.

I think this is why we rarely see guys hit .350, strike out 200+, have an OPS over 1.000, produce an ERA under 2, ect, ect.

I am thinking maybe there could be a bonus of sorts applied to skill ratings when they approach 20. The difference between 18 and 19 should have a bigger impact on performance than the difference between 13 and 14 because the player is literally approaching perfection at that one skill.

This is just my way of thinking. What do you think Steve?

Curtis P

I decided to post this as a new thread in the Suggestions forum if anyone is interested.

Updated Sunday, November 3 2013 @ 5:18:53 am PST

Updated Sunday, November 3 2013 @ 5:20:08 am PST
curtisp5286

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
As for the topic of velocity. I think that it should be applied as a modifier to the other skills.

As a pitcher's velocity increases, the effectiveness of all their pitches increases. It's harder to hit a good slider at 87mph than at 75mph, a change up is more effective when it is 12mph less than the fastball than when it is 5mph less, and its harder to hit at 98mph fastball on the corner than an 89mph fastball on the corner.

Steve, Is this how velocity is used in Broken Bat?

Curtis P
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My perception of how pitching works here in Broken Bat is that skills relate directly to types of pitches, so, in the case of velocity it affects fastballs, movement affects curveballs and sliders and so forth.

When I mentioned Colon, the point I was trying to make is that he doesn't have any curveball or slider, and relies solely in the fastball, but I agree it wasn't the best example given the velocity he throws his fastball. But fastballs is all he has. The 2-seamer, albeit a pitch with some movement, belongs in the fastball category. All types of pitches have some movement, even the 4-seamer has some movement.

So, what I think is key to Colon, is not movement, nor change of speed, it's about having good control to paint the corners.

But I'm glad we all agree the velocity skill needs to be looked at. It makes no sense that one pitcher with, let's say 5, 15, 15, 15, 15 in skills shows up with an ERA 1 point below some other pitcher with 15, 15, 15, 15, 15 in skills.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Exactly, statistically, right now, high velocity is like a curse and it shouldn't be for the reasons I mentioned before.

This is certainly the intent -- all skills should be positives.

Steve
AmUnRA

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
For me, he is the best example for velocity being a curse. normally with his speed and control he could paint the corners all the time even with some nice movement in the end but he suffers to much HR and and has an unbeliavable high ERA: http://brokenbat.org/player/51195

oh and I forgot to mention with his velocity of 18 and control of 17 his best K/9 was only 8.35 and career 7.56 K/9 - ridiculous

Updated Tuesday, November 5 2013 @ 1:06:57 am PST
nobodyjones

Seattle Rickey
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Rare that he has 4 Heat pitches in his repertoire. He has good experience and fielding. His stats would be good with a 15 pitch count.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Technically, at least from the Broken Bat perspective, a slider is a breaking ball.

Steve
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I have looked through the game engine and have a pretty good idea of why higher velocity pitchers are under-performing. The overall fix is still one I’m working on, but I will begin to correct the issue sooner rather than later.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |