Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Opening of Free Agency - Waivers - Point System   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
texg8r

Pembroke Pines Gators
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
First off, I'm a relatively new player and I'm really enjoying the game. Thanks for everything you do, Steve, this has been a fun distraction during the Coronavirus craziness.

Having now gone through the beginning of the off season and seeing how the early days of Free Agency go I have a suggestion that I think might make the system a bit better.

Have you ever considered a "point" or "weight" system when it comes to waiver claims? That way teams with significant needs can allocate a lot of points towards a single player or two that they really need to improve their roster. It would give teams the ability to target certain needs rather than try to "shotgun" dozens of players and just hope for the best with "waiver luck". I had claims on three players with 6/16 deadlines, two of which had relatively low amounts of claims. I didn't get any...and that's fine....that's how the system works. But I went to see where they wound up and saw that one of them ended up on a team that won 5 players just yesterday. Which must mean that owner had put claims on dozens of players. Again...that's fine...that's how the game works. But, if I could have "weighted" the players I really wanted maybe my chances are better and maybe that makes it harder to use the "shotgun" approach of just putting dozens and dozens of claims on players.

Thoughts?
Gophy2611

Canton Tornados
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I think there's a chance that this could work negatively in your favor. Waivers are awesome for new players to have a chance at accumulating a lot of talent to fill in the cracks on their rosters. For veteran players, they may only need 1-2 spots on their team (3B and a MR, etc.) They could then slam all of their points on just a few guys and severely increase their chances of getting them. If most teams in leagues 1-4 do this then there's a high likelihood all the top talent stays there (with some outliers of course).

All that said I do like the general premise.
texg8r

Pembroke Pines Gators
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I see what you are saying, but I don't think that takes away from the "fairness" at all.

To counter this, and to add in some "parity" the "points" could be distributed based on performance. So lower teams could be alloted more points, perhaps.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think there is less of a difference between a Legends team and a VI team than most people think. A couple bad drafts can see someone drop three levels in three years. Also, tanking isn't a thing in this game which seems to be rare for most sports management games. I like that. So I am always leery about stacking the deck for tanking teams. However, something like this could possibly work if the bonus is small enough.

We've had priority pick suggestions in the past, but I wasn't a big fan. I expect there will be plenty of folks who don't like this idea as well, but here is how I could see something like this working.

LL-VI: 100 points
LL-V: 98 points
LL-IV: 96 points
LL-III: 94 points
LL-II: 92 points
Legends: 90 points

Points work on a continual basis, meaning if you have 10 points on a guy who was claimed yesterday you get those 10 points back (regardless of winning the claim).

Claims work exactly as they do today, except you get multiple "entrees". One for each point. 10 points means you get 10 entrees and are 10 times more likely to get a player than someone who put in 1 point.

Definitely an advantage to higher level teams with less needs (who will probably put 90 points on one guy), but might help a little bit with talent distribution. Emulates prioritization, but still allows for someone to win a claim with 1 point. By constantly refreshing points, teams that need a lot of players can continually put in new claims to help fill up their needs. Tanking only gets you 2 points, so probably not worth it for most folks.

Also, Hardwood works in a similar way with Contacts (over a long period of time), so maybe not too hard for Steve to implement here?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I do have to say though, this would probably be most impactful only during the season flop. Most of the time during the season I don't have a lot of claims out for any given day.

Another issue being that this would highly favor active players, as casual players may not be able to reallocate points on a daily basis.

Updated Tuesday, June 16 2020 @ 3:18:59 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Another simpler solution that would have similar impacts (both good and bad), would be to de-prioritize teams on a given day after they win their first claim.

So for example, Team A has the follow claims submitted.

Player 1 - 20 claims (including Team B )
Player 2 - 90 claims
Player 3 - 3 claims (including Team C and Team D)
Player 4 - 2 claim (including Team B )

Player 1 goes to a Team B, so still high priority for Team A. Team A wins Player 2, so they are now low priority. Player 3 goes to Team C or Team D since neither had yet to win a claim (50% chance for each of those teams). Player 4 goes to Team A because Team B had also already won a claim (50% chance for each team).

Team A wins Player 2 and Player 4, and is still eligible to win any player which has not been claimed by a team who has yet to win any claims for this day.

Updated Wednesday, June 17 2020 @ 8:55:38 am PDT
Jimmy W

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
How about like the NFL draft - the worse teams get preference over those that already have a super-doper team...

exit stage left

Jim
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That idea has been circulated many times, but it's a recipe for Tanking unfortunately.

Previous Page | Show All |