Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> consider using the CWS elimination series approach   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/forum/-/5/513 refers to a four-team league playoff which personally I am not in favour of.

However, having watched the College World Series for the first time this year, I wondered if the Cup could us a four- team elimination series (two losses and you're out) to progress
  • Day 1: Game 1 AvB; Game 2 CvD
  • Day 2: Game 3: losers 1&2; Game 4: winners 1&2
  • Day 3: Game 5: Winner 3 v Loser 4
  • Day 4: Game 6: Winner 4 v Winner 5
  • Day 5: Game 7: Winner 4 v Winner 5 (if needed)

I don't how easy this would be to code and schedule in advance but I thought the CWS approach was interesting and enjoyable

It would require less rounds than the current cup

1 < 4 < 16 < 64 < 256

1 < 2 < 4 < 8 < 16 < 32 < 64 < 128 < 256

so would allow more time in the year for play-offs if you wanted them. Personally I hated cup days cause I was knocked out; I might have felt differently if I had stayed in it :)

You could include links to the (64) elimination series from the cup page.

Assuming you discard this idea and stay with the existing knock-out competition is it possible to include a cup bracket showing the results and draw as opposed to just listing the teams still in the competition
tayshaun22

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
They used double elimination in the World Baseball Classic this year, except for the last game, basically because they wanted to know how many games would be played and how many tickets to sell.
The problem with your idea is that it needs four actual (IRL) days for a round to be played. That is because you don't know who you'll play after the next game. So, if you want all games in a round to be played in bulk (like it is now), you'll have hundreds of people doing nothing for four days.
Personally, I don't really care for the cup, as it is just an idea taken from hattrick. There it makes sense cause you only play league games once a week and because soccer actually has cups. Baseball doesn't.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I would also be difficult for teams to do any sort of planning for their upcoming cup opponents. At least with the current format, on Monday/Friday afternoon, you know who you're playing next Friday/Monday.

Steve
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't see why you couldn't complete the elimination series in the one real-time day.

I accept that some players prefer to prepare for each team, but for me this would be part of the interest.

The teams in the CWS must've had the same conundrum who do we pitch against this team, given we don't know who we might play tomorrow? Do you save your best pitchers for game 4 or 5 at the risk of being eliminated earlier?

I think the different pattern of play is what provided the interest in watching. it provides a different challenge to series play against a single team.

Just a suggestion
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The problem I have with this idea is that this format would exclude people from the competition even sooner than now.

I mean, sure there is no cup in baseball, but perhaps what makes people dislike the cup is that before half the season is done most teams aren't involved in it anymore.

The good thing about this new idea is it would free up space for expanded playoffs but then again I can't imagine playoffs being played in the middle of the season.

Sure, we could compact the season to put the free space at the end of the season but that would result in teams not making the playoffs having to sit out in a longer off-season.

I think the way to go here is to have all teams involved in the action as long and as much as possible.

The cup is a nice concept as it allows teams from different divisions to play against each other, but by the time it reaches the knock-out stages half the teams are already out.

But if not the cup then what? In baseball the only thing I can think of that could replace the cup and keep everyone involved all season long is MiLB action, where we could have parallel leagues where our players in the minors could play against each other.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
One of the reasons we added group play in the cup, was that most people were eliminated from the cup after the first week of play. But there has to be some knock-out rounds, and at the point teams just start getting eliminated.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |