Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Trading, Buying and Selling Players   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The majority of players on my team were guys I pulled off waivers for 1-3 claims. If they aren't getting claims now, they aren't going to come with a big price tag in any system.

A common misconception is that Legends-caliber means POT 14 or higher. But plenty of us have had success with more POT 12s than POT 14s on the team. There were a bunch of unclaimed Legends-caliber players languishing on FA last season. They are there for the taking.
geigerted

Queens Park Rangers
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Rock, I just looked at your team and it's not entirely accurate to say that a majority of players were 1-3 claimers or free agents. In fact, only six players on your big-league roster were subject to three or fewer claims, and another six were drafted by you. The remaining fifteen were claimed by 4+ teams, most (11 of those 15) were claimed by 10+ teams. In other words, if we had an auction, I suspect that you would have paid a significant amount to acquire at least half your big-league roster.

Anyway, take my opinion out of it. Do you disagree with lostraven's statement that "yes, the chance is high [a trade system] may help a broad array of teams, regardless of league level?" In other words, is your (like lostraven) concern primarily about implementation or is it actually a paternalistic concern for the welfare of lower-level teams (or both)?
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Soooooooo many things going on here. I'll hit one now and more later.

Auction. The primary reason I'm against it is super simple--it would be a radical change to the game that would make the game unrecognizable. It would no longer be Broken Bat, but Money Bat. The focus would quickly shift to being a money manager where price evaluation is king. No thanks. I love auction draft fantasy baseball. It's my favorite by a wide margin, but I don't want that here. Keep it simple. Keep it solely about baseball.

(As an aside, I don't understand why money is a part of this game at all. I think it's one of those "realism" ideas that detracts from what makes the game unique and interesting. That and the fact that salary calculations are pretty whacked. Obviously just my opinion.)

Overlooking that, I still think creating auctions will help better, well-established managers. It's curious that you're in favor of it, while you say the game is too difficult for newbs as it is. Adding auctions would make another obstacle for newer owners. Right now it's pretty simple--do you think the guy on waivers is better than who you have now (for the current or future roster, or a mix)? Yes? Claim him. Adding money to the mix and you get a much more complicated decision, which hurts newbs and more casual owners.

I think there's one thing that is in a similar vein to auctions that has been discussed before that would be improve the game--enhanced waivers. You can search past threads, but I think the best suggestion is the simplest one. Every team gets one successful priority claim per season. Once used and claimed for the season, it's gone. It's a super simplified auction in a sense.

Here's one of those threads.

Updated Friday, October 18 2019 @ 11:14:41 pm PDT
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@Mike: Interesting thread. I kinda' like that idea. Thanks for resurrecting it.
geigerted

Queens Park Rangers
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Mike, you make some interesting points. While I still believe that an auction system is the way to go, perhaps a simple tweak to the waiver system would accomplish many of the same benefits without fundamentally changing gameplay.

Accordingly, what do you guys think of adjusting waivers so that lower-level teams have better odds than higher-level teams? Say, for example, that a team in VI is 3x more likely than a team in Legends to win any given claim (we can hash out the right weighting if you guys like the framework). That way, lower-level teams have more opportunities to shape their rosters to their own liking and get a better chance to move up the pyramid. Higher level teams get less (but still some) access to those talents everyone wants, but can compensate through their superior player evaluation skills. I can’t see how this would hurt newbie teams (unless you believe losing waiver claims builds character) and doesn’t allow for cheating. Your thoughts?
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You're losing credibility and walking the line of becoming a troll with that post. Rather than bite, I'll answer as succinctly as possible. Penalizing success and rewarding tanking is never a good policy. Thankfully, I'm confident nothing like that would ever be implemented.
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I have always argued that owners who put in more time should not be penalized in the pursuit of fairness. Like any game, you have to out-work the other guy to win.

When I began, I would just plug in the best players I could (old waivers) and did well in VI & V. But I hit a wall. I noticed there wasn't a huge talent gap between my team and those at the top. So I read all I could. I copied and messaged owners. Then spent 5 long seasons in IV re-tooling my team. Now I knew what to look for.

As I kept rising, I delved deeper. Made scouting reports on each team. Began playing match-ups for each opponent. Made sure I had late-inning bats and capable back-ups.

Do I have holes in my roster? Darn right I do. I'm demoting this season because of it. During the 2037, 2038, 2039, 2040 drafts I kept 3 players. THREE.

Isn't anyone going to argue that I should be able to raid another team's roster?

The game is designed to give everyone the same opportunity at success. Whether an individual achieves a successful outcome is up to the individual.
ChillFunkEz3000

High Point Shaolin Stars
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with what the majority of users posted about trades, it’s really a tricky implementation because of the cheating potential. The only way I can see trades in the game is if we (almost) completely remove the human aspect, by that I mean we find a way to give players a total number value for their skills, much like what I’ve done in the Prospect Ranking List thread, I came up with a formula to give a total value to a player, from there it would be allowed to trade players that are similar, say a 10 point difference max in a trade... player with 230 for player with 240 it’s fine, player with 230 for player with 241 no dice. It wouldn’t even allow you to try to offer the trade if it’s anything over 10 points differential! And it would be 1v1, or 2v2 as long as the difference in the valuation points are 10 or under.

I actually pulled players from 16 to 35 under contract and used the same formula I’m using for the prospects. So for the fun of it, check to see how that would look and if cheating would still be possible.
--> Top Players List
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Player ratings are only one very small part of a player, and only give you mediocre insight into a player. There are plenty of examples of players with incredible skills who perform poorly, and those with poorly rated skills who perform very well. That is the problem with any sort of automated system. It is unlikely to do a good job. Instead we are back to top teams raiding newbies because the top level guys know what to look for in a player.

Plus weightings throw in a huge monkey wrench. Is 18 Fielding on a lefty actually any good? What if you are trying to train that lefty to be a SS? Maybe fielding is still useful in CF? I know I wouldn't want it, but some players value it. Some players even value fielding at 1B, which I totally don't get. Way too easy to raid talent. We can already do it today with the waiver system. I pick up all sorts of talented players at 1-3 claims a piece. I don't see any reason to make the game even easier for the top teams.

Updated Monday, October 21 2019 @ 1:04:41 pm PDT
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
The game is designed to give everyone the same opportunity at success. Whether an individual achieves a successful outcome is up to the individual.

Amen to that. Trading has no place in this game, and long may that continue.

Buying and selling is another false economy. There are plenty of teams sitting on piles of money all over Broken Bat, but you'll find less of them at the top of the pyramid than you might think - franchise fees and rapidly rising player and manager salaries mean your money doesn't go very far up here. I had to cut an All-Star starter and my All-Star, All-League closer this last offseason partly because I needed to make room but mostly because they would have made almost a combined $10M in salary. As is I've just about broken even these last two seasons and my salaries will only increase. And that's without signing any high price free agents.

Why did I even get into this thread? Just NO.

Previous Page | Show All |