Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Amateur Managers   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Considering some of the implications of the new draft system gave me an idea about managers. How about adding amateur (meaning not managers currently employed or available in the BB professional leagues) managers as a draft option? Basically you could choose to pass on taking a prospect, and instead "draft" a manager using the position selection menu. The managers available here would be young (managers of youth baseball teams, high school teams, etc.) compared to the current manager pool. Upon choosing managers, you'd get ten to choose from just like the prospects.

This would not effect the current manager acquisition system in any way, but would add another option for people not entirely thrilled about digging through to find those guys.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Interesting idea. Would they essentially be assigned to your minor league affiliates to manage there essentially? Progress upward too? What backend code would indicate such a manager would be ready to promote to coach at the next level?
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Would they essentially be assigned to your minor league affiliates to manage there essentially?

I actually suggested something like that a while back. It'd be nice, but I think that'd be asking too much at this point.

Nope, this would basically be a pool of fifty or so manager candidates (ten percent or so of which would be genuinely good) added to the current draft pools with similar amateur/oversees stats as the prospects (in different categories, of course) that you could choose instead of a prospect for that round.

If you chose one of the candidates from your list, your current manager would be fired and the new guy would take his place. Should you pass on all ten, that's your draft pick for the week and your current manager can climb down off the hot-seat for the week.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
A few more questions, for clarity.

1. This wouldn't take the place of the existing manager refresh (as woeful as it may be) at the beginning of the season?

2. In the first post you mention that these managers would be from "youth baseball" or "high school" teams, making them young. Yet you would expect that 10 percent of the pool would be "genuinely good"? Good long-term? Good short-term? Would it take more time for these young managers to provide benefits to your team than it would drafting from the normal pool, but some of their "potentials" (not POT) would inevitably be higher than those in the normal pool?
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
1) This would exist side-by-side with the current manager system and act as a supplement to it. No changes would need to be made to that system.

2) Aside from age, I think the youth or amateur background would just be color to differentiate them from the current manager model and justify their existence.

For age, I'd say late-twenties to mid-thirties. There should be some upside to trading a draft pick for a manager. Having a good one "last" a little longer might make it worth the gamble.

As far as their skills, I'd think just using the manager skills we have now would be the simplest route.

When I say "ten-percent good ones" I mean a half dozen of them have a couple "Good" Tactical skills and a couple "Good/Excellent" Developmental skills. As with the current managers, you wouldn't know whether Good or Excellent means 14 or 20 until a few years in.
buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Would even be fun to convert former players who haven't been picked up to become coaches/managers!
knoxvol

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
+1

Previous Page | Show All |