Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Overseas Money   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think overseas money is a bad idea.

I think journeymen is fun. Because it is a strategic choice. Do you go for a young unproven talent who might turn out to be a superstar, or that 26 year old journeyman from the Asian league who is a proven commodity.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Appreciate the feedback Freddy. I see what you are saying about once every two years, but I do think there is a difference. Eg., a team heading into a rebuild might want to cluster their picks over 2 seasons rather than spreading them over 5.

When I come up with a suggestion or view someone else's suggestion, I work my through the following questions:

Is the issue real?
Does the suggestion address the issue?
Is it implementable?
Does it add strategy/decision making?
Does it add realism?
Does it make the game more fun/enjoyable?

A proper critique of the original post would have started at question 1. I can point to a high profile example, but one team isn't proof. I didnt feel solid proof was really needed, as all the other questions were answered yes. I think overseas money would be a nice addition to the game regardless of whether the Asian pool is an issue or not.

Nerfing the Asian pool tho is a different story. Once I get past implementable, all my answers are no. It is a cod liver oil suggestion. Those need pretty solid proof that there is a problem.

It's a pretty busy week at work for me. But when I get a chance I'm going to revisit the past few draft years with an eye towards the Asian pool. Quality, draft order, teams. Get a better sense of if this has historically been a problem.

No rush on the idea. I'll be back when I have a little more evidence to work from.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
In my opinion:

Does it add strategy/decision making?
nerfing - Definitely. Very clear trade-off of potential versus immediate need.
money - probably not. Why would everyone not just spend it on their first round pick anyhow?

Does it add realism?
nerfing - Defiantely. The MLB isn't flooded with hundreds of Ichiro's every season.
money - not really. The money isn't even attached to our budget money. Its just monopoly money.

Does it make the game more fun/enjoyable?

nerfing - yes. Trade-offs and real choices are what make the game fun.
money - no. extraneous complication that adds complexity for no real reason. Better off just saying you only get one pick from the Asian pool if you are going to go this direction.
hurstdm

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not sure there's a problem with the current way the Asian pool works. (Full disclosure: The Cows have picked the Asian pool in the first round most years.) Why shouldn't some advantages accrue to teams that pay attention? We may have whiffed on it this year (but who really knows anymore) and I think it was completely full when I drafted. I'm fine with this kind of draft luck.

Even if I accept the problem, I disagree with adding this complexity. In real life, players posted internationally are generally expensive. Perhaps just make Asian players come attached to a real salary - not just $0.2M? $3.0M? Or even something like a sliding scale, depending on what round you use the Asian pool:

1st round = $4M
2nd round = $3.5M
3rd round = $3M
4th round = $2.5M
5th round = $2M
6th round = $1.5M
7th round = $1M
8th round = $0.5M

Picking one of these players would put him on your team at a salary equal to whatever round you picked in. No cheapy-cheap-cheap time for older Asian players. Plus, you might have to make the tradeoff at draft time of whether you're willing to pay for THAT.

Maybe it could cost cold hard ca$h to even pick from this pool? $1M? $2M? A transfer fee of sorts paid to the original club?
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
+1
it makes a lot of sense!
even in our RL simulation, Asian pool is supposed to be made of Professional players, moving to BrokenBat leagues. It's not realistic they would accept a minimum wage salary.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
I think hurstdm's idea should be implemented ASAP. Just makes sense.

Doesn't preclude doing something like Seca's suggestion, but it's a solid first step.

Updated Tuesday, June 11 2019 @ 2:51:25 am PDT
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
What if, instead of something complex like the original suggestion, maybe Asian players just come with a salary already attached? So instead of drafting a guy at the usual 0.2m, you might get one at 1.6m or 3.4m or something. That's a really simple fix that could make Asian less good without any artificial restrictions.
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Exactly what I was thinking. Ichiro Suzuki made 5 million as a rookie. Plug-and-play players in Broken Bat should get paid differently.

Start them internationals well above $0.20M. I'd say $1.20M for all.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
In 2006, the Redsox paid 51 Million dollars just to talk to Daisuke Matsuzaka. In real life teams pay big $$$ without even a guarantee of landing a contract for Asian League players. hurstdm's suggestion makes sense to me. Those guys should come with inflated salaries. Maybe even a bit higher on the early side than hurst was suggesting. Could be more like:

1st - 6M
2nd - 5M
3rd - 4M
4th - 3M
5th - 2M
6th - 1.5M
7th - 1M
8th - 0.5M
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Bump so admin sees this and at least considers it.

Previous Page | Show All |