Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Base running issues   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
There are two base running issues that I would like to see fixed.

The first involves runners attempting to go 1st to 3rd on a single to left field. You rarely see this in real life baseball and for good reason, since it almost always results in an out. Same in Broken Bat, but the attempt occurs far too frequently. This should be a play that happens rarely. So how can we reduce the frequency of the attempt without selecting the X option for base running?

The second issue involves the sole runner at 2nd moving to 3rd on a groundout to SS or 3B. This should not occur at all. Any runner trying that when the ball is hit in front of him is almost always going to be out. Yet in Broken Bat the runner always moves up no matter how slow he is.

So that's my two cents about two issues.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Okay, I will look into this for the next game engine revision.

Thanks,

Steve
tc_ferdzz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
i think if a smart runner wanted to, he could look like he's not gonna run from 2nd to 3rd on a 3rd/SS ground ball, and then as soon as the 3rd baseman or SS throws the ball to first takes off...i think a fast runner could make it...or he could make it like he WAS going to run and freeze the player with the ball allowing the hitter a chance to get to 1st and then he'd back track to second, you might be able to make an inexperienced (or less intelligent) player freeze...
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
That could happen at low level rec ball, but not the majors or even high level amateur ball.

On a ball hit to the left side the runner at 2nd is moving straight at the fielder with the ball and will get tagged out. The 2B will move to cover 2nd so if the runner strays too far in a fake attempt he'll get caught in a rundown.

I will note that in Broken Bat, having a runner at 3rd does not guarantee run on a groundout. Very often the runner will stay put, sometimes he will score and sometimes will he get thrown out.
nobodyjones

Seattle Rickey
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I have 9 guys X'd out on Base Running and Base Stealing. The other 4 are --, and a manager with 1 aggressiveness. I feel like smart base running is the only advantage I have over bots. Base stealing percentages seem to be higher this season, so I might try to steal more. I don't know.

Going 1st to 3rd on singles to center are only likely to happen with 2 outs, or on hit and runs.

Even rarer, Going 1st to 3rd on singles to left might rarely occur when a slow batter can't leg out a double or trips (falls down) while running.

Taking 3rd on a grounder to the left side is most likely to happen with a fast batter putting pressure on the fielder to make a play.

Taking 3rd on a chopper or drag bunt also happens.

Updated Wednesday, May 22 2013 @ 9:28:50 pm PDT
nobodyjones

Seattle Rickey
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
But I agree with the suggestion. I would like to be smarter on the base paths without having to have a 1 aggressiveness rating on my manager and X's on the players. I still have X'd players thrown out trying to take 3rd from first on singles to center, so right now there is no way around it.

Most of the time though my guys are very (or overly) conservative leading to more bases loaded situations than I'd prefer, which is cool, but maybe that's what I need to have happen, since a have a lot of slow runners.
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Taking 3rd on a grounder to the left side is most likely to happen with a fast batter putting pressure on the fielder to make a play.

To make that happen you need a smart and fast baserunner at 2nd as well. He can't commit too early or he gets caught in a rundown, and he can't stay too close to 2nd or he loses his chance to move up.

Taking 3rd on a chopper or drag bunt also happens.

Yes, a bunt will pull the 3B in, leaving the base open. But a chopper doesn't always mean he has to move off the bag.
nobodyjones

Seattle Rickey
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Conditions vary, but of course most of the time taking extra bases mentioned above should not happen.

High choppers up the middle just left of 2nd base will move the runner to 3rd more often. I'm just saying it can happen.

Runners moving from 1st to 3rd on bloopers to center will most likely happen only when there are 2 outs, and near impossibly when hit to left field even with 2 outs.
danielpaton

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The amount of outfield assists in this game is absolutely ludicrous and its related to the baserunning issues alluded to i this thread. I have a guy who has already got 27 outfield assists in 51 games. There is also far too much base stealing as well. The same player of mine has stolen 31 bases. To put this in perspective the current mlb leaders in each category with about 50-51 games played is 7 outfield assists and he steals leader is 19 . The stolen bases isnt so far out of line but it is a little. The outfield assists on the other hand is really silly. Theres so many games in my season ive lost and even won because of these baserunning bloops
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, I agree.

The number of outfield assists is really high. Also, the number of bunts is really low. I need to try to tune the game engine a little better with respect to those situations. I think most of the other statistics are pretty much inline.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |